• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Ken Burns effect for vertical stills

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
In attempting to use the Ken Burns effect for vertical stills, the red/green boxes are horizontal and thus not situated for a vertical still. Can the red/green boxes be turned so that they are useful for vertical stills?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Software and version?

Works fine in iMovie 09. Double click the cropping icon on the top left of your project clip, click Ken Burns in the preview and set as wished within the horizontal limits of the picture.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I am using iMovie 09. As you suggest, you can move the horizontal boxes "within the horizontal limits of the picture", but what I want to do is make the boxes vertical so that I can move them within the vertical limits of the picture. Can that be done and, if so, how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Quick question... what's Ken Burns Effect. I see it mentioned all the time, but have no idea what it actually means. Sorry for the quick hijack.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
The Ken Burns effect is named after a film producer. The effect adds motion to a still where a video isn't available. It pans or zooms in or out from the still, adding an effect of a video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Ah! I gotcha now. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I am using iMovie 09. As you suggest, you can move the horizontal boxes "within the horizontal limits of the picture", but what I want to do is make the boxes vertical so that I can move them within the vertical limits of the picture. Can that be done and, if so, how?

The green & red boxes represent the aspect ratio of your project and you cannot alter their representation. You also cannon make them larger than the smaller size of the width or height of the picture being used within project aspect ratio.

If you think about it, your want only makes sense if the picture didn't take up the entire space of your aspect ration. That only occurs with the 'Fit' option where you have then turned off the KB effect. Unfortunately iMovie does allow both options. To cheat, you could make an appropriate scaled black image and overlay your photo onto that. For a 16:9 aspect image, you would center your picture horizontally which would leave two black bars one either side of your picture. Of course you'll need a third party imaging application for that.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I have noticed that people who use the forums have certain info listed under their name at the left of these notes. How do I put that info in there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to your Profile and click 'Edit Your Details' in the left column.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.