Smcfancontrol help

Reaction score
Hey all.

i recently installed smcfancontrol 2.2.2 on my new macbook pro 15.4" 2.53ghz 4gb ram 256 vram.

my temps are running at what i think is good (approx 40C) but the thing is that when i open up preferences it shows that i only have a leftside fan running at 2000rpm (lowest) default.

is this normal?
shouldnt my system be running 2 fans?
shouldnt they be running at 1800rpm by default?
what is an ideal rpm for something runnign at approx 70C?

any help would be appreciated.
cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Mate,
Do a quick search on this forum and you will find numerous threads on " fans "
Do yourself a favor and remove SMCFancontrol .... there is no need to second guess the capabilities of the Apple engineers who designed your MBP.
If things get too hot, your MBP will shut itself down.
Fans will rev up as and when required.

Stop worrying and enjoy ....

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
The fans are variable speed - there is no "default" as far as I know.
Personally, I set smcFanControl to the lowest setting (1000) and forget it. I set it to autostart so it shows me temp & fan speed on the task bar.

If it is only showing one fan, then there is only one fan. If it shows 2 fans, and one has 0-rpm, then you should be worried.

Reaction score
Mate,
Do a quick search on this forum and you will find numerous threads on " fans "
Do yourself a favor and remove SMCFancontrol .... there is no need to second guess the capabilities of the Apple engineers who designed your MBP.
If things get too hot, your MBP will shut itself down.
Fans will rev up as and when required.

Stop worrying and enjoy ....

Cheers ... McBie
I disagree.
I use smcFanControl because the infinitely wise Apple Engineers forgot to add a fan failure warning or a control panel item with temp readout.

There is no way to know that fan #1 has failed until fan #2 dies and THEN the mac starts shutting down.

BTW - The panic shutdown of a system due to an over temp situation is the worst thing you could EVER do. You have overstressed every component of your system by the time the panic shutdown occurs - not to mention the lost data and open files that are left on the disk. If you get to the point that your system panics and shuts off, you can easily wind up with a bigger mess than a dead fan.

While I agree that messing with fan speed is a waste of time (but harmless), the benefits of the temp & fan speed read outs are priceless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Another choice is to install iStat Pro so one can check fans speeds when needed.

Click for full size

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try iStat menus, even better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.