Canon MP980Won't Print Black

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I have a Canon MP980 multifunction that I finally got working under Snow Leopard after a few shenanigans. I was on the verge of tossing this printer until I figured out the paper jam I almost didn't find.

Once I got the printer working again I printed a few photos which didn't look dead on accurate but I attributed the problem to not having calibrated my setup yet. Besides the results were acceptable. Now the problem.

If I print a page with several colors things look OK. If I print a page of just text the text is completely gone and the page comes out blank. This happens with NeoOffice, TextEdit, Preview, and Pages. Currently the printer is connected via network. I'll try a direct connection tomorrow. The print utility says there's plenty of ink and the lights on the print head indicate the cartridges are installed properly.

When I print the test page the first two lines for black and pigment black are missing. Multiple cleanings have had no effect. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Canon uses two black cartridges in their MP series printers. One is used for mixing, the other for BW printing. I believe it's the large black that is used for printing BW while the small one is used for mixing. Try changing the large black to see if it will print normally.

BTW, Canon cartridges contain a small chip which is embedded within. That chip is what gives the ink level read out and whether or not the cartridge level is adequate for printing. Even though the "go" light is on it could very well be that the cartridge is defective. Cleaning would have no effect if the chip was bad or the cartridge itself was malfunctioning.

Regards.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're right on both counts about the number of black cartridges and the chip. One of the blacks is a marked differently and if I remember correctly is pigment-based. I think that is the one used for photo printing.

After I posted that message I saw a procedure on the net for cleaning the print heads in case it has become clogged more than the cleaning cycle cures. This is entirely possible given how long the printer had been sitting before I replaced the cartridges. I'll let you know what I find out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.