How to check if hard disk is failing?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Is there a software I can use to check if my disk is failing? I know Windows has HDTune but I can't find anything that does the same on a Mac..

Anyone know?

Appreciate your help :]

Reaction score
You don't need any additional software to check if your hard disk is failing or not on a mac.

Simply go to your applications folder, click on utilities and select disk utility.

Click on the hard disk you want to check and look at bottom of the window. You are looking for a field called S.M.A.R.T. Status. If it says "verified" than your hard disk is fine. If it says "Failing" than your hard drive is failing.

If it says "Failing" I would recommend that you backup your files straight away.

OP
Y
Reaction score
You don't need any additional software to check if your hard disk is failing or not on a mac.

Simply go to your applications folder, click on utilities and select disk utility.

Click on the hard disk you want to check and look at bottom of the window. You are looking for a field called S.M.A.R.T. Status. If it says "verified" than your hard disk is fine. If it says "Failing" than your hard drive is failing.

If it says "Failing" I would recommend that you backup your files straight away.

Ah ic,

Thanks, It says verified :]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
If you're looking for a bit more depth, Onyx is good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.