Video card in 12"

A

anubis

Okay- I'm planning to get the new 12" powerbook, and I was wondering what the limits on its video card are, and if they are very low, is it possible, in theory to replace it with a different card, such as the one in the 15", or is the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 made for the 12" specifically? Please respond- I really want to know before I buy the computer!

OP
H

hokiethang

anubis said:
Okay- I'm planning to get the new 12" powerbook, and I was wondering what the limits on its video card are, and if they are very low, is it possible, in theory to replace it with a different card, such as the one in the 15", or is the NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 made for the 12" specifically? Please respond- I really want to know before I buy the computer!

I am not sure of the limitations of the GF FX 5200, but it is not possible to have apple replace the video card. It is not even an option, and as I would assume with most laptop providers, the video is not actually a separate card, but instead built on to the motherboard, so you are stuck with the video card in the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Yeah, hokiethang is absolutely correct. I was watching the Paris Expo last night... If you are gonna get the 12", then for like $600 more you can get the 15" that comes with the 9600 Mobility, which is supposed to be a nice chip. That is the only real "option" you have. Of course you also get faster RAM, the ability to use more of it, and a bigger screen. But if you need the 12" because of it's size, you are stuck. Maybe look into the iBook? I love my iBook, but it isn't my main machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.