Discouraged about switching

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)
So many things I used to do on Windows is now a chore, and in some cases a major time consumer with my Imac. I basically just use the Mac for browsing now as doing my business on it is too cumbersome. So many things I had taken for granted on Windows seems to be left out on the Mac.
Am I missing something????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Can you list a couple of things that Windows does with no effort, that require effort with Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Can you supply some instances where you struggle with OSX where windows was easy ??
Some members might be able to give you some insight and shortcuts, easier ways to do things, and to try to make your experience more enjoyable.
On that though it will take time to get to know and understand this OS.
It is completely different to windows but since i have made the switch i find i can do more things easier and without complications once i understood this OS.
Most programs you use in window there is most probably a alternative here ...

EDIT : haha you got the jump on me OnceYouGoMac lol

OP
Woodensail
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27-inch (Core 2 Duo)
Okay, just one example. I upload pics to others via email as well as to photobiucket. I used Fastone to change the size of the pics. The Iphoto program makes it hard to resize, rename, or even scroll through the pics.
Also I used to right mouse click on things and rename, look at properties,etc, but now it seems awkward.

When it comes to bookmarks, I don't feel that it's nearly as convienient. These are just some things that were bugging me tonight, but there are others, such as no way to edit my webpage, since I can no longer use Front Page Express. I have no Idea how Mac users edit a custom page without using the pre templated guidelines.

Maybe just a learning curve, but it is causing me some grief.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac has programs that do all of those things faster and more easily, but I am a switcher too, so I need to go find the names..I have used them, but do not remember the names haha

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can resize pictures in Preview. Open your picture and go to Tools > "Adjust Size...". You can also rename through clicking and pushing enter or clicking once, waiting a second and clicking again (don't click too quickly or you'll open the file). To look at properties, right click and select "Get Info" or highlight it and push Command-I.

There are many ways to edit a webpage. You can use tools such as Coda, Espresso or RapidWeaver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Preview as vansmith stated is inbuilt to the OS good app to use
Or iResize
or Skitch which personally i use and its easy to resize them Just a matter of dragging a corner ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I think Preview is one of those things most switchers totally miss because they are distracted by iPhoto. I was one of those people... didn't discover Preview until a month or two after I had my Mac. Both apps have their strong points.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed on Preview. Some miss it and what it can do. Very useful little application. There are others out there for OSX, but for most I just use Preview for basic things like changing size.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Preview didn't do what I wanted, tried several apps but finally found EasyCrop and love it. Quick, and allows me to crop to dimensions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Preview didn't do what I wanted, tried several apps but finally found EasyCrop and love it. Quick, and allows me to crop to dimensions.

I guess if you're looking specifically for pre-set dimensions, then perhaps Preview doesn't do that. But it most certainly lets you drag the crop to any dimension within a photo that you want.

In fact, it's a lot more flexible than most basic crop apps in that it gives you several crop type options:

Screen shot 2010-01-04 at 12.13.38 PM.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
just a learning curve

You are correct there. Just take time to learn your Mac.
Daily I have to get out of the mindframe of trying to use Mac/OSX like PC/Windoze. This is since I deal with PC's 100% of the day at work until I get back to my barracks and break out my Mac Book Pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Okay, just one example. I upload pics to others via email as well as to photobiucket. I used Fastone to change the size of the pics. The Iphoto program makes it hard to resize, rename, or even scroll through the pics.
Also I used to right mouse click on things and rename, look at properties,etc, but now it seems awkward.

When it comes to bookmarks, I don't feel that it's nearly as convienient. These are just some things that were bugging me tonight, but there are others, such as no way to edit my webpage, since I can no longer use Front Page Express. I have no Idea how Mac users edit a custom page without using the pre templated guidelines.

Maybe just a learning curve, but it is causing me some grief.

Long time Mac user here. One of the best photo editing Apps for the Mac is called GraphicConverter. Not free but worth the $30 or so. It's almost like a min Photoshop but easier to use for the kind of things your talking about. It also does things like batch editing and converting too. I almost never use iPhoto for actual photo editing, it is a pain in my experience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz, 160GB, 4GB RAM
I think Preview is one of those things most switchers totally miss because they are distracted by iPhoto. I was one of those people... didn't discover Preview until a month or two after I had my Mac. Both apps have their strong points.

Same! I find it such a pain looking at files quickly at college and stuff now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would not be discouraged. Mac is just different than Windows. It is like driving British cars and then buying an Italian car. It is not that either one is necessarily superior (although I do prefer Mac), but that it is a different system, a different way of thinking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.