Mail scared the heck out of me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
I'm setting up the OS X Mail application tonight on my new iMac. I had been using Eudora 7.1 on Windows Vista. After setting up the email accounts, I imported the Eudora mailboxes from the Windows machine via my home network into Mail. All that worked just fine.

Since I want my mailboxes to appear under "On My Mac" and not under "Import" I began moving the imported messages from the imported mailboxes to newly created mailboxes. I did this by selecting "All", then marking all "Read", then grabbing the entire highlighted list and moving it to the other mailbox. All went fine until about half-way through and all of a sudden right after I had highlighted and marked as read all the messages in a mailbox ...

the entire highlighted list started flashing at me very rapidly and insistently for about 10 seconds, kind of like....

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 BOOM!! .... then it stopped

What the heck was THAT all about!?!? :eek:

Was I being some kind of a bad boy? :Oops:

Sorry, I did search both Mac help and the forum.....nada.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The attributes of mail from Eudora Win may have 'upset' Mail Mac. Do any of the transferred mails open as they should?

Given that you used Eudora for Win, why don't you continue using it? ['Scuse me, but I happen to think Eudora is the best email client ever 'out there'.]

OP
coaster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video
I only spot-checked a few of the transferred emails, and they looked fine, including the ones in the list that flashed at me.

No arguments against Eudora; I think it's an excellent email client as well. Mainly I just wanted to try using the Mac mail client for a while. The Win Eudora app is getting a little long in the tooth, though; I think the Mac Eudora app has gone even longer without an update, hasn't it? How does the Mac Eudora stack up against Eudora Win 7.1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
The flashing emails may have been a visual warning of slight overload, or simply letting you know that the process was happening. Good that those emails are viewable in Mail.

I can't really comment on Eudora Win vs Eudora Mac, but I'm still using Eudora 6.2.4, with both Panther and Tiger, and am satisfied with it. The main complaints about Eudora are to do with its inability to handle html and to render embedded graphics. It was never intended or designed for either, so people who want those features use a different email client. Eudora however does give the option of opening emails with objects, graphics etc in them, in a browser, something I do regularly, since connection to the internet usually involves both types of application.

OP
coaster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Overloading the email client, not the Mac, I hope :eek:

That's quite a collection of Macs you've got there. I'll bet you've got a couple IIci's stashed in a closet, too. ;D Best computer Apple ever made, bar none. I pulled mine out of 10+ years of storage in the basement a year or so ago and fired it up. PRAM was gone, of course.....didn't know the date.....but otherwise it booted up and ran just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just fyi, overloading the Mac OS - it is possible - can result in Keys Out Of Order, a serious hard disk fault. I think it ceased at Tiger, but it was/is fixable only with Disk Warrior, as I learned to my cost!

The Mac collection - there was a G3 beige d/t there for a while too. I've managed until a couple of years ago to 'recycle' my Macs, but the advent of the G3 iMac and continual upgrades to processors and OS meant that old Macs were an encumbrance. I've kept the b/w tower simply because of its configuration and flexibility; and that I probably couldn't even give it away.
Amazing - or perhaps not - that your IIci still works flawlessly. A tribute to the quality of both the hardware and the OS. I had a IIsi for a while. My vote for the best Mac would probably go to the 9600, dual 604 "the most upgradeable Mac ever made" it was trumpeted, a veritable monster of its time. It became a question amongst owners of what you couldn't put inside it. ;D

OP
coaster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hard disk fault -- mmmmm -- that's interesting because I'm having a problem with my LaCie external HD; Time Machine reports it can't back up because of errors while copying files. Disk Utility says the LaCie is fine. And I've done the whole gamut of everything I can do with Disk Utility. I need to look into that Disk Warrior program. Another thought....maybe it was the Time Machine executable and/or resources on the INTERNAL drive that got corrupted when all that flashing happened.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.