New hard drive... help!!!!!

Reaction score
I installed a new hard drive in an out-of-warranty MacBook Pro (17 inch).
Had to,the old hard drive was dead.

I bought a new copy of Snow Leopard and "thought" I installed it, but I did something wrong and it keeps taking me back to the install window.

I went to Utilities> Disk Utilities and resotred the OS on the hard drive, or so I thought.

This is probably not enough information and I'm not very skilled with computers, but any ideas or tips would be much appreciated.

I'm hunching I didn't format it correctly, but just can't figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Standing by.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot from the Snow Leopard disc, go into Utilities > Disk Utility and format the new hard drive. Drives come unformatted.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks. Been mucking around in Disk Utilities for hours and can't find anything that offers me an opportunity to "format."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Utilities from the boot disc?

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes, sir. In Disk Utilities with a brand new copy of Snow Leopard I got from the Apple rep at Best Buy this morning. Told him my situation and asked if this would get me going again? He confirmed it would.

My wife just found the sequence for disk formatting on the internet. This stuff isn't intuitive to me. But apparently we had to go into the Erase portion in Disk Utilities to format. It's cooking now and has an hour and 18 minutes to go. Hope it works.

Does our latest approach sound right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep and thank goodness for wives eh? My bad thought you would grasp it when you got into Disk Utility and go to erase and format. Keep coming to the forums you will learn a lot an d remember, there are no silly questions, just silly answers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.