Apple IMac

Reaction score
Help, I have just been given an apple imac for my grandson to use ,i switched it on and it was working fine my son then put a game disc (Football Manager ) in to see if it would work but the icon came on screen then then when he tried to get the game to load it started searching and continued doing so for over an hour.He then switched the computer off and the disc was still in.I searched online and it stated that if you hold down the mouse the disc would eject ,this it did, but my problem is now when the machine is switched on the screen is blank apart from a folder in the centre of the screen this shows a question mark on it then a face on it, nothing else happens.
Can anybody tell me what the problem is please, thanks in advance

This is the first iMac i have owned or even used so any advice is greatfully received

Reaction score
Help, I have just been given an apple imac for my grandson to use ,i switched it on and it was working fine my son then put a game disc (Football Manager ) in to see if it would work but the icon came on screen then then when he tried to get the game to load it started searching and continued doing so for over an hour.He then switched the computer off and the disc was still in.I searched online and it stated that if you hold down the mouse the disc would eject ,this it did, but my problem is now when the machine is switched on the screen is blank apart from a folder in the centre of the screen this shows a question mark on it then a face on it, nothing else happens.
Can anybody tell me what the problem is please, thanks in advance

This is the first iMac i have owned or even used so any advice is greatfully received

Some how the system got messed up or "unblessed" You will need a OS boot disc to crank it back up. Tell more about the Imac ...what it looks like. What OS was on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
To your question - the MacOS is searching for a System folder with all the startup stuff in it.

Hold down the Option key (or Alt if you're using a generic PC keyboard) on startup to make the Mac search for a startup volume (hard drive). If that doesn't get you back to the iMac's own HD, follow MacSK's advice.

OP
L
Reaction score
Apple iMac

After holding down the Option key it then shows on screen 2 arrows;
one points right :
the other is a circular arrow.
nothing happens when you click on these icons.
The folders that show on normal start up are one with a question mark and the other it switches to is actually MAC sk Avatar.
With regards to the OS i do not know what system i know it is an older unit,the iMac is red and white with the model number M5521.
I'm sorry i dont know what to do next.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
That's a 2000 iMac, ruby, but its processor speed could be any one of four possibilities. It was originally issued with OS 9.0.4 [source: Mactracker]. If you don't have the original OS disk issued with the machine, you really need to search for an OS 9 retail disk. They're still available, but be patient, and, if you're really keen on getting the G3 iMac going again, advertise.

Your other option is to search out a Panther (10.3.9) retail install disk (black colour). Your iMac will run that OS, especially with maximum RAM of 1 Gb installed. You can boot from the Panther disk, install the OS (which includes OS 9 - Classic) and you have an upgraded iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.