HP PSC 1610 printer will not install after Leopard update

Reaction score
I recently updated someone's iMac to Leopard OS 10.5. She has an HP PSC 1610 printer connected via USB. I've downloaded the drivers via software update but the iMac will not add the printer. When I click on the "Print & Fax" link, the printer is not listed. I then clicked the "+" to add a new printer. The printer name then shows up, but when I click on the name, it begins searching for the drivers and hangs. After spending 4 hours on this problem, I gave up. Can anyone offer a suggestion on how to get the printer working again? The printer will scan from the computer using the HP software, but it does not show up in the printer options when attempting to printer from any other application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
Is the HP software installed on the Mac? Is so, take it off. All that's needed is the driver. Scan using Preview. The HP software is junk.

OP
M
Reaction score
It worked!

Thank you for the suggestions. Uninstalling the HP disc software and then downloading the driver package from the HP website did the trick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.