Macbook Random Shutdown Syndrome

Reaction score
I have a less than 4 yrs. old Macbook that has been flawless until recently. It now has begun the dreaded "RSS" random shutdown syndrome. It is out of warranty and now Apple wants to charge $280 flat rate for this fix. I told them to pound sand as I have a HP laptop and Clone PC that are over 8 yrs. old and never a single problem. I know things fail, but I expected more from Apple that is why we switched. Can someone guide me to a good place for the fix (I am in Southern, CA). I would prefer local, but if I have to ship it I will. Or is their anyway of obtaining these parts to do it myself? Thanks guys!

Specs-
Mac OS X Version 10.5.8
1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum. Have you tried a bit of troubleshooting yourself - do you know if it is Hardware related or software initiated. How about doing a back up and a clean basic install to see if it continues to happen.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you! I did take my Macbook into the Genius bar in Brea, CA. They performed a stress test and it seemed fine. The fan was spinning as I heard it while it was on. They swapped batteries and even plugged in the power cord to the wall. He said it was probably an internal issue and I said "no crap." The reason why I say it is the "RSS" is because it can be 1 min. - 30 min. max and it shuts down and doesn't prompt me. It shut down all three times while I was there. How can I tell if it is hardware or software related? What can I do to check? And I guess I can do a backup (how do I do that)? I do have a ton of purchased music via iTunes and a ton of Photos on it. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
First suggestion: I wouldn't trust the fan sound alone.
You have the same MBP I have.

Get smcFanControl and run it. Don't adjust anything, but look at the fan RPM. 0-rpm = dead fan. There should be 2 fans. I had 1 fan die, and I didn't know it until the 2nd fan died. Then I had the same kind of RSS problem. The first time I ran smcFanControl, I had 0-RPM on both fans.
It also has a temp read out - anything over about 80-degree C is bad and you will probably get an over-temp panic shutdown.

If the fans are running and it is hot, the fans may need to be cleaned.

OP
D
Reaction score
First suggestion: I wouldn't trust the fan sound alone.
You have the same MBP I have.

Get smcFanControl and run it. Don't adjust anything, but look at the fan RPM. 0-rpm = dead fan. There should be 2 fans. I had 1 fan die, and I didn't know it until the 2nd fan died. Then I had the same kind of RSS problem. The first time I ran smcFanControl, I had 0-RPM on both fans.
It also has a temp read out - anything over about 80-degree C is bad and you will probably get an over-temp panic shutdown.

If the fans are running and it is hot, the fans may need to be cleaned.

I will tackle this project when I get home. I did take it apart and clean the inside yesterday and it did the same thing. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks!

OP
D
Reaction score
I did install the smcFanControl. After start up and nothing running I got these temps. after 5 mins. The fans rpm's 1498 temp 37*c. I also have Dash Monitor that allows me to see different temps. Main Heatsink 1 is 33*c and Main Heatsink 2 is 32*c.

My computer lasted 7-10 mins. Right before the shutdown it prompted me "Are you sure you want to shut down or restart your computer." Then it immediately shut down.

Please help guys as I am new to Apple and I would love to get my baby fixed. How do I tell if it is software or hardware related? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Replied to your PM but you have it blocked - so might be a good plan to allow PMs

Reaction score
Random shutdowns

I had the problem with random shutdowns (RSS) on my macbook pro. I deselected put hard drive to sleep when possible in the energy saver preferences and have not had the problem since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And try downloading a little utility called Applejack. Print and read the instructions and run Applejack as directed for deep cleaning.

http://applejack.sourceforge.net/

Keep us posted?

OP
D
Reaction score
^ Thanks for the tips guys! I have been so busy with school and work late at night I haven't even touched my Macbook in weeks to try to solve this issue. Lucky I have Fri and Monday of this next week off.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.