ichat help please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53ghz unibody MBP
Decided to start using (video) ichat with my wife since we're going to be temporarily apart for work. I got mine working just fine but when I ran ichat for the first time on her computer it wouldn't work. It gives me the start up screen, asks me for a user name and password (i set it up using google talk) and then at the next screen it says "you're ready to use ichat" click continue... well, after I click continue the continue button just turns blue and it does NOTHING... just sits there on the same window... tells me to click done to start using ichat but there is no done button... just the blue continue button and clicking that does nothing. I have the option to go back and i've tried to doing this and creating accounts with other user name/pw combinations that work on my macbook but nothing will work on hers. I've even deleted ichat from the aps folder and reinstalled it from the OS X DVD and still the exact same problem. I don't know if its important but we both have identical unibody macbook pros and are running 10.5.8. She leaves tonight and i'd really like to get this working. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53ghz unibody MBP
thanks but it didn't help.... tried making AOL and ichat (@mac) accounts for her... keeps getting stuck on that screen. Even deleted ichat again with appzapper (so I got the associated files and reinstalled).... no help. By the way, how do I delete the google account from her computer? She has a gmail account that she frequently uses so that was the login info that I used (did the same thing for me and it worked on my comp). Did something just get seriously screwed up on her comp and I need to reinstall the OS or am I missing something?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53ghz unibody MBP
just noticed... when I do the four finger swipe to see all open windows that ichat setup window doesn't show up but the ichat icon is in the dock indicating that its open and if I click on it the window's there.... don't know if that's normal, just thought it was weird and worth mentioning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As a stab in the dark scene - how about running this on her computer. When i said remove google account i was only talking about accounts in iChat Prefs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks but it didn't help.... tried making AOL and ichat (@mac) accounts for her... keeps getting stuck on that screen. Even deleted ichat again with appzapper (so I got the associated files and reinstalled).... no help. By the way, how do I delete the google account from her computer? She has a gmail account that she frequently uses so that was the login info that I used (did the same thing for me and it worked on my comp). Did something just get seriously screwed up on her comp and I need to reinstall the OS or am I missing something?

Not sure we are on same wavelength here but using registration at AOL you need to select AIM in set up not @mac

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53ghz unibody MBP
yep... i understand... I tried both making an AOL account and setting it to AIM and then making an ichat account and setting to @mac.... id do this from the ichat preferences but they are greyed out... its weird...like the program is there but not really, despite reinstalls... she's already running 10.5.8 so I think im just going to take the brute approach and reinstall OSX.... if that doesn't help I have no idea what's going on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is her account set to a Admin account or a Standard account? Look in Sys Prefs/Accounts

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53ghz unibody MBP
her account is admint.... i just reinstalled OS X and did all of the updates.... I still have the problem!!!!!!!! Help!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53ghz unibody MBP
just realized to.... most options, including preferences are greyed out in the ichat menu so I have no real way of interacting with the appiication. Our warranty just ended so I can't go to apple. Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is why i asked about the Admin account - the greyed out items is odd. Try doing permission repairs - perhaps boot off the install disk and do repair permissions from that disk utility and do it a second time if there are a number of entries. Meanwhile i will see if i can find any other info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.