HELP: Restore Files?

Reaction score
Today, I have been having a lot of trouble with Microsoft Office and getting Powerpoint to work, So I decided to reinstall it using the recovery disk that came with my school package. I followed the instructions, but as a result, my computer reset itself.

Now, all of my preferences and settings are gone, as well as some missing folders that I have created. All of my downloaded applications, music, movies, and videos are still present though. Also, Microsoft Office still does not work.

I have many of the files backed up, but I haven't done so in a few weeks as I am now back at college and my external is at home.

I am not sure what happened, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do to fix this. I contacted my college's IT, but they won't be able to help me until monday, and I have a project that is due tomorrow night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
While i cannot help with Office i would suggest looking seriously at iWork 09 as it will do most things without much of the aggravation. Also possible to import word, powerpoint and excel files, deal with them in iWork and even export in those formats or others as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reinstalling an application should not cause any folders to disappear, unless you put files inside folders within the Microsoft Office folder in your Applications folder. If you did that, don't do that again!

Reinstalling does reset your preferences to the defaults. That's normal.

You don't mention:
The version of Office Powerpoint Mac OS that you have
Exactly what problems Office was giving you
Office is a suite of several applications, so telling us you have a problem with Office is not specific enough to offer spot on advice for your unidentified problem(s).

My primary suspect, if the shoe fits, is the plist file for the application that is misbehaving. But, you'll have to identify the problem to provide a clue about the size of that shoe.

...unless someone a whole lot smarter can figure it out from what you have mentioned. I see that there have been no savants weighing in so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Is it a Mac and what do you mean by 'recovery disk'? Is it possible you have wiped the drive and done a clean install of the operating system if you used the install DVD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.