iMac problems

Reaction score
Hello all,

Following are a couple of concerns/ ?'s about my iMac

About a year ago, my house was struck by lightening and everything seemed to be fried. I filed an insurance claim and in turn received a voucher for a new iMac so I didn't really give me old one any time of day. Tonight, I decided to take it out from the basement and test it out...

1. I took out the RAM a while back, and now the computer starts up to a dim black screen and a constant chime (most of the time when I start it up). Is this because my mother board is fried, or my logic board; or is this possibly because I have no RAM? Is that why I am also getting no picture on the display?

2. I have a 13" black Macbook from late-2006; I was wondering if I was able to swap out that laptop's RAM and insert it into the iMac. Is it compatible? Will it work if my Macbook's logic board has died on me :(?

Thank you all!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. No memory will cause the constant beeping and the symptoms you describe. Replace the memory with the correct type and try to boot the machine again.

2. Probably different memory modules. Won't work. A dead logic board does not mean the memory modules are bad. However, who knows what has been damaged in the MacBook? A lightning strike can fry everything in the blink of an eye. :Grimmace:

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
More importantly have you got yourself a UPS or some other good protection from lightning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
I wish my midsection could be struck by lightening... ;)

Glad to hear that the insurance covered lightning strikes without issue!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.