Please help me with migration assistant

Reaction score
firstly, i hope this isnt in the wrong section. moderators, please move if need be.

im coming from a G4 ibook. i just picked up a new mac mini. id like to know how i can use the migration assistant to move over all of my music and pictures but i cant figure it out.

im using the firewire cable to connect the two. i couldnt figure out the part where my mini says "to hold down the "T" key....."

if anyone knows if they can point me in the right direction id really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Ok first with Hardware you need to hold T key on iBook while you power it on and then the firewire symbol will come up on screen of iBook. With the Mini running you should then see the HD icon of the iBook on desktop of mini - go into HD/Applications/Utilities and double click Migration Assistant, then follow prompts. One caution - my method involves not importing any third party applications but rather downloading fresh copies of any you need straight onto the Mini once all is running sweetly.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think so. You should be good to go on that score.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
In essence you are sucking out all your User data and System settings from the iBook - in Target mode it has not really booted the OS but just made the HD available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.