Moving Files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
Ok, in Documents, how do I move a file into a folder that I created inside of Documents? When I try to click and drag it just opens up the document. Merci.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Odd. That's exactly how you would move it. Click+drag to new folder. Maybe you're accidentally double clicking it. Be sure once you have it highlighted to click and hold it while you drag to the new folder.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, the thing is, I click it once to highlight it, and the file either opens, or gets a green plus sign on it and "Documents" disappears. This is Snow Leopard btw.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok just tried again, using every trick I could think of, same problem. Hmm. Could this be a Snow Leopard thing?

Reaction score
Ok just tried again, using every trick I could think of, same problem. Hmm. Could this be a Snow Leopard thing?

I just tried to duplicate what your saying.

I created a new folder and then picked up a file and placed it into that folder.

I am using SL and it worked fine.

I checked the mouse settings to see if there is an option for "single click open" or something like that but I dont have any option like that.

Maybe your clicking on the file to "highlight" it and then clicking it again when you go to move it. If that is the case, there is no need to "highlight" it first. You just grab it and move it.

If you want to highlight it first before moving it, you can do that but your "double click" speed in mouse settings would need to be adjusted.

Does that make sense?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for taking the time to try I appreciate! Well, whether I try to highlight, or just click and drag first off, it still just opens the file and does not move it. I am researching it some more, but I have tried every possible mouse click combination and permutation that exist lol. Any other ideas?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Idea: I am opening Documents from the Doc. How do you view all files and folders on a Mac?

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok resolved. If I open documents from Finder, click and drag works. Interesting. Thanks so much for the help!

Reaction score
Ok resolved. If I open documents from Finder, click and drag works. Interesting. Thanks so much for the help!

Cool! I didnt realize you were doing it from the dock. I was using Finder.

I dont like Finder. It is a necessary evil. Explore in Windows still seams easier to me.

If I want to move files between folders I open up two Finder windows 'cause those empty columns on the right dont mean anything to me yet. :)

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh two windows..good idea.

Reaction score
A tip for you. If you keep the button pressed in whilst dragging files in the finder (Including folders in the finder sidebar) the folder you navigate to will spring open and so will any sub-folders you navigate to, until you release the mouse to release the file, thus there is no need to have 2 finder windows open.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Spring loaded folders is nice... if you're moving a single file.

It's still a pitr if you're doing spring cleaning, or need to move multiple files one (or a few) at a time.

There are some dual paned file managers available. Among them muCommander (free), ForkLift ($20), PathFinder ($40).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WTB Macbook Pro 15"
Won't selecting multiple files (in the same folder) and then click and dragging work the same when using the spring loaded folders? That kinda sucks that you can only do that with one file at a time.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, it works moving multiple files at a time. There are just some things that works easier with a dual paned file manager. Of course, the work around this with Finder is to open two Finder windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.