More ram questions

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a MBP (the last version before the uni-body) and its got 2gb in it and I want to jump to 4gb.
Do have to buy 'mac' ram? I use tigerdirect.com and newegg.com alot and they both have specific sections for mac ram. Will any ram work as long as the hertz are the same and its the same pin amount?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Try searching these forums before posting.

This thread was only a few down the list from yours.

Also, earlier today I answered a similar question in another section on mac-forums.

OP
F
Reaction score
I spent some time on this forum and found both those posts before posting mine. Neither one seemed to answer my question, along with the multiple other message boards I have looked at. I just want to know if there is any difference between specific 'mac' ram and generic ram.

I have upgraded many computers before, so I understand what goes into installing ram, etc. I have just never done it on a mac so I want all the info i can get before I do it.

Reaction score
I am kind of new to the whole mac thing but i have upgraded the ram in the two macbooks i bought. I just put generic ram in both of them that matched the specs for each computer and it worked fine. In fact one of the sets i bought was some hynix ram which i picked up very cheap, low and behold when i took the factory ram out of my macbook it was made by hynix anyway. So i short as long as it matches the specs generic is 100% usable in a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
as long as you stick to the specs you're safe

there is one issue I can think of though, there are a few rams with additional cooling (passive of course) and those might be too thick for your MPB, I know I couldn't put them in since MBP ram is stacked on top of each other (in my model anyway)

but you don't have to buy mac specific ram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.