Merge time machine backups

Reaction score
Yesterday I moved my external HD from the USB port on my MBP to my new Airport Extreme USB port. When I restarted Time Machine, it started a new backup of the whole machine. So, now I have a backup that goes from when I bought the MBP to yesterday and another backup from yesterday forward.

To access the old backup I have to dismount the HD from the AE, connect it to the MBP USB and manually look for files I need. Then reinstall the HD on the AE.

Is there a way to merge the two backups into one?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In order to access data from the other backup try holding down the option key while launching Time Machine. In many cases it lets you choose the backup set that you wish to use Restoring Time Machine Backups on a Different Computer even Over SMB or AFP BigDiver.

There is also some third-party software available that can do this and a bit more Back-In-Time (from TED). I haven't tried the program much but you can find a discussion of it at Back-In-Time 1.3.4 Review | Utilities | Mac Gems | Macworld

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad it worked. I stumbled on that tip not to long ago but hadn't had a need to try it yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.