imac, thunderbird address recovery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
couple different ones ranging from 9.2-10.4.11
i have an 17in imac (model# a1173). its been randomly turning itself off for about a week. it did it again this morning, and when i went to turn it back on, dust blew out of both sides of the monitor, and it wont come back. i knew it was going to die soon, so i copied off most of my stuff, but i need the address book from thunderbird.

i have a sata/usb converter and i plan to take out the HD and copy the rest of my things, but i dont know how to get the address book without running tunderbird and doing an export. (and i cannot run it because when the drive is hooked up, its treated as an external HD)

i know in windows you can go poke around in Program Files. is there a mac equivalent to this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No such thing as "Program Files" in Mac OS X, however, there is an "Application Folder". If you can follow the file - folder structure in OS X, you should be able to find your T-Bird address book. Here's what I found:

/Applications/Thunderbird.app/

I didn't specify any further along because there are folders listed under the main folder several layers deep in typical Mozilla fashion. :) Anyway, find your "Thunderbird.app" folder and start digging. I don't use T-Bird for email so I don't have an address book, however, I do use it for Newsgroup reading and writing.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.