Superdrive firmware update trouble.

Reaction score
Not entirely sure if this is the right area to post this in, but here goes nothing:

I've got a MacBook (the "green" aluminium unibody version with the 13 inch screen). It broke a few months ago despite buying it brand new from my local Apple Store. It turned out the Superdrive was faulty and was replaced, it's now working perfectly.

Since the new SuperDrive was installed I've had no more of that buzzing noise the optical drive sometimes makes on a few machines on startup or waking from sleep. Until I was prompted to update my EFI and SuperDrive firmware.

The SuperDrive firmware update (3.0) is supposed to stop the optical drive buzzing on startup or waking from sleep, but because I had the new SuperDrive that meant I didn't have this problem, but I installed it anyway in case I needed it.

The optical drive now buzzes a little bit on startup and I have a sneaking suspicion that it was the firmware update that caused it because it didn't buzz when I started it up that morning but did buzz when it restarted after it installed the update, so it's essentially caused the problem it was supposed to fix.

I'm pretty sure that it's not a big deal, but it's not exactly a good thing neither. I'd like to know if there's any way to fix it, mostly because it's a little annoying and I want my quiet little MacBook back.

If there's no way to fix it then (like I said) no big deal. I've heard it's pretty common and "natural" for all Macs to buzz on startup and it doesn't really harm the machine or its performance. It would just be nice to stop the buzzing.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
I would be annoyed with buzzing come from my new computer as well. I would take it back to the Apple store. You can make an appointment online, they will obviously know its something of a continuing issues. Definitely get it resolved before the warranty runs out. The sooner the better.

OP
P
Reaction score
Is there nothing I can do about the firmware update? I'm assuming that's what's causing the problem. If there's some way I can uninstall it then maybe the buzzing will stop because the new Superdrive didn't buzz by default and now it does since it was updated. I only ask because I'm sure there's a quicker and simpler solution than having to take it back to the Mac Store (again).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.