Activating Windows 7 Upgrade Version on new 27inch Imac using "The Ultimate Steal"

Reaction score
So i just installed Windows 7 which i purchased from Microsoft's Ultimate Steal promotion for college students but i have bumped into a problem while trying to activate the software, as i bought the "upgrade version" which is the only version the ultimate steal offers i might add, when i try to activate it with the Product Key it says the Key is not valid, i immediately thought it was because im using an update version and not the retail version but if that is indeed the case how is it possible to do a clean install to your mac if you need XP or Vista already installed?, if i have to buy XP to install then upgrade to Windows 7 that will be very annoying unless im missing something?, anyway im just wondering if there is a way round activating my software?

thanks in advance!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sorry, but "ALL" upgrade versions of "ANY" software, whether from Microsoft, Adobe or any other developer require a previous version of the software. That's why they are called an upgrade version and are cheaper than the full version.

Don't know about there in the UK, but I would guess it's similar to here in the US. MS typically has educational copies available to students at drastically reduced prices. My wife picked up full copy of Win 7 Pro for $15 at the uni where she works.

Reaction score
When you get to the point where it wants the product key, see if you have an option to enter the key later. If that's possible, continue till it's finished, then run setup again & this time enter the product key.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
saving for a macbook pro
as far as I know.......what you need to do is install win7 without a key...then install again it again over the top of that installation....it should recognize the first as a disc it can upgrade from...(I think that is the way to put it) It should accept the license key then.... I read that somewhere but cannot for the life of me remember where it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
What the ****? I posted on here before buying the Win 7 student upgrade a couple weeks ago and everybody said that installing it fresh is fine.

Now everybody's saying it doesn't work and/or you need workarounds.

Too many chiefs and not enough indians in here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Who is everyone? Windows upgrades are for upgrading a existing install of Windows. It used to ask for the Full CD as proof but I am now told it looks on the hard drive for the installed Windows version before upgrading.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What the ****? I posted on here before buying the Win 7 student upgrade a couple weeks ago and everybody said that installing it fresh is fine.

Have you installed it yet?

The Windows 7 upgrade version will in fact install clean. I have done so and so have others. Even Brian Livingston the noted Windows columnist says that it can be done....

So I ask again.... Have you tried to install it yet?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I'm trying to install it now buy I'm getting a black screen of death that's telling me there's no bootable disc.
So I tried to start over and repartition the drive through boot camp but I'm getting the same black screen repeatedly after 2 repartitions through boot camp and 3 restarts. I'm chasing my freaking tail with this bleeding windows crap and its frustrating.

I would absolutely not be even trying to install it if I didn't need certain programs for school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Obviously the people giving help here were not the same people giving you help a couple weeks ago ..... Or they would have the same answers ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
Obviously the people giving help here were not the same people giving you help a couple weeks ago ..... Or they would have the same answers ..

Thank you captain obvious.

I'm pretty sure it can be done. There is a person here who is swearing they physically did it themselves. Could that person be lying? Sure, but its a lame thing to lie about so why would they?
Also, there are numerous instances of others who have done it around the web. Can you believe everything you read on the web? Of course not, but again, it seems to be a common occurance of people doing it.
Finally, there's even a writeup about how you can go into the win 7 upgrade disc and extract full versions of every win 7 version. Apparently microsoft created the discs with all of the versions realizing that you would still need a distinct product key to make them work.

I am inclined to believe it can be done, the frustration I'm expressing is simply a byproduct of running into a problem with it, and being told 2 COMPLETELY OPPOSITE things by several different people who are all very sure of themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thank you captain obvious.

Can you please denote captain with a capital C next time ... I deserve that much ;P

I can understand your frustration but the "what the ****" statements dont get you too far. I personally dont use windows what so ever, but if someone is saying one thing and someone else another, there is certain discrepancies there so you need them clarified. Sooner or later the right person will come in and give the answer you are looking for. And no there is no need to lie and different people have different opinions... The posters with the green dots near there Nic i would believe as they dont get them for lying.. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know for sure what Microsoft was doing. It was covered on many of the best Windows forums. If they changed it with this version of W7 upgrade, then I am sure the truth will come out, but if it's an UPGRADE version, (just like the $29 Snow Leopard is an UPGRADE and is only meant to be for users who own Leopard) I would bet that Microsoft feels the same way. Yes people have installed the $29 version without owning Leopard, but it's against Apples rules. Microsoft is way more strict with versions and licensing.

And if it's against Microsofts rules, we do not allow it to be discussed here on Mac Forums. I am going to search and see what I can find. I do not intend to purchase an Upgrade version when I don't own the version that you are supposed to own before upgrading.

I will bet you $$$ that if you can extract every different version of Windows 7 out of that upgrade DVD, that it's against Microsofts EULA.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Whether or not a clean install can be accomplished with the upgrade version is one question.

Whether it meets the terms of the software licensing agreement, and/or is legal to do so, without having a prior version of the software is another question.

Anyone purchasing an "upgrade" version without owning the software that "qualifies" you for the upgrade version pricing should expect to have some difficulty getting said software installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.