Time capsule (WLAN only,Compress rate of time machine)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Hi,

before going to buy a Time capsule, I have a few questions:

(1) Airport only?
I have a CABLED network and would like to access the time capsule as a cabled device. Basically (at this stage) I don't intend to activate the airport features.

>>a> Obviously the device is featured for it's WLAN capacities, but would Time Machine also recognize/find it on a cabled network?

(2) What capacity?
I have an IMac with Snow Leopard and a MacBook with Leopard which should both backup to the Time Capsule.

>>a> Does Time Machine apply a compression ratio to the files when copying them to the Time Capsule (and what is the average compression rate)

>>b> How does Time Machine handle files that are being deleted. Will they also be removed from the Time Capsule?

(4) Restore

>>a> is it possible to restore only specific files

>>b> How are files identified on a Time Capsule (is metadata (backup time, etc.) included)?

(4) Configuration

>>a> Does Time Capsule offer a webinterface for configuring it?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Time Capsule can function fine in wired mode. The setting is found in the Airport Utility program by running a manual setup. It may be one of the questions asked during automatic setup but I am not sure. The Airport Utility is used for configuration rather than a typical web interface.

As for the Time Machine questions see ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine. I think I answered most of your questions in that piece. There are also a few tips on some types of files that perhaps should not be included in Time Machine backups and other general information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.