New router / email issue - please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPhone 3GS 32GB
Hi,

I've recently upgraded my old eMac to a MacBook and at the same time, a new Tenda W306R wireless router.

Everything is fine, I've moved all my music, pictures, documents etc, but, for some reason the new Router won't let me access my ISP's webmail. I've been on the phone to Virgin Media for over an hour now, doing Ping tests amongst other things - and it all points to the Router. The guy on the helpline seems to think that the router has blocked access to the site, that all makes sense to me. If I plug the modem straight into the MacBook then I can get to my emails no problem?

However, I haven't blocked the routers access and I have no idea how I can try to remedy this. I've looked at the Airport preferences and can't see anything that would help, but to be honest, I don't really know what I'm looking for!

My computer knowledge is fairly limited, I only started to use them on a daily basis 5 years ago and up until the point that I saw the Apple shaped light come on, I really struggled! Since getting a Mac I've surprised myself at what I can do, compared to the old PC. However, this email issue has so far defeated me!

If you have any ideas then please help me!

A million thanks in advance.

Dan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro
can you check your DHCP in the router is set to automatic and try to ping your router after that

OP
MacFanDan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPhone 3GS 32GB
Hi Singh,

I've pinged the router - 0% packet loss, I've pinged the NTL webmail site - 100% packet loss.

I'm assuming you mean the 'Configure IPv6' to 'Automatically' within the TCP/IP tab? It was set to that to start with, I renewed the DHCP lease, shut the MacBook down, did the ten second thing with the modem, and no change!

I still can't access my NTL emails through this router.....

Is it possible that there's a fault within the router somewhere? It doesn't really make sense as it's only the NTL webmail that's not working, but maybe I should exchange the router and see what happens? What do you think?

Thanks for your help though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.