Brand New Macbook Pro help

Reaction score
I just got my first Mac. I need a little help. I can't seem to open quicktime. It shows QT icon in my apps folder, but does not open when I click on the icon. I'm running snow lep. I'm doing a software update via software updater, but I'm in Iraq and my internet connection is horrible slow, so it's take me 15 hours to download a update that would take minutes back home:'( I still don't think the software up date is going to help me with this problem. I mean quicktime should be on the Mac from the start.

Any ideas where I should start trying to fix this issue?

Reaction score
Quicktime should be called 'Quicktime Player' not QT in your Applications folder.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you click on QT in your apps folder it will not open a QT window, but it does open the app. You'll notice after clicking it, on your menu bar at the left side it will say QuickTime Player. You'll then need to go into the 'File' menu and choose what you want to do.

OP
B
Reaction score
When you click on QT in your apps folder it will not open a QT window, but it does open the app. You'll notice after clicking it, on your menu bar at the left side it will say QuickTime Player. You'll then need to go into the 'File' menu and choose what you want to do.

bobtomay, I did notice it in the menu bar when I clicked the QT icon with in apps. I'll play with it a little more when I get off work(the mac is back at my hooch) Will I need to open via "file" everytime I want to use QT? ie I wanted to stream some videos via apple.com and it would try to load the videos and would stop loading and just show the QT logo with a "?" mark in the middle of the QT player.

Also, I download the plugin to be able to play windows media play based files within QT. Aside from installing it is there anything else I need to do to be able to watch WMP files in QT?

I am sorry if these question seem dumb, but I'm having little more trouble getting used to some of the basic functions of how the Snow Lep. OS works than I thought I would. Though I'm learning slowly, but surely.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Any QT files you open should auto open QT and begin playing them. There should be no need to open it separately, as long as you haven't changed any file attributes. If you're having issues playing individual files, that would be a separate issue.

The items to install for playback of most file types are Flip4Mac (for wmp) and Perian (for just about everything else).

It is not a bad idea to have the VLC media player installed either, although I find it extremely rare that I open it. Some will prefer this player to the built in DVD Player and I do use it on my Win based systems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.