Seagate Freeagent Go drive not recognised by Mac

Reaction score
I have a Seagate Freeagent Go 750GB that my Mac won't recognise. I can't afford to lose the contents. The drive was recognised until recently and is still seen by Disk Utility, but won't display a desktop icon to access the contents. I've run Disk Utility many times and it won't fix the problem. I've followed all the steps in the knowledgebase articles. I've tried to use Seagate's diagnostics software, but without success. I've followed all steps in their knowledgebase. Can you help? Purchased 26 May 2008, S/N 5QD375A2 P/N 9NK2A6-51 (though difficult to read as very small)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Try this setting for the Finder

Finder>Preferences>General and click on Hard Drive to show it on the desktop. Also in the Sidebar tab.

If Disk Utility can see it is mounted. My rule of thumb is always format any drive on the machine it will be used on. Thumb drives also.

OP
N
Reaction score
Many thanks

Many thanks for the suggestions. All of the tickboxes in the finder prefs and sidebar are selected. I tried this when I first had problems (sorry I forgot to mention this) and it made no difference. Disk Utility can see it, but it reports as unmounted. So I am rather at a loss still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Do you leave the drive attached all the time? Sometimes it is necessary for external hard drives to be spun down, and then connected. Keep us posted?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also how is the drive formatted? FAT32, NTFS or OSX format?

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi,
It's OSX formatted and is sometimes spun down and reconnected. I have found a trial copy of File Salvage that is currently finding the files on the drive (it looks successfully) so hopefully I can then back them up. Seagate's own diagnostics suggest all is well with the drive, but it just won't mount.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just a heads up. I tried Filesalvage once. It found all my deleted files on a drive but the trial will recover unless you pay them for it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Many thanks indeed for the heads up. Yes, I am expecting exactly that. At least I will know that the files are recoverable at that stage. I am hoping that Seagate will come up with a simple solution, as I am sure this must be relatively common - no reply as yet, though. If they don't (they are likely in the first instance to refer me to their knowledgebase articles, which I have already scoured), then at least I will have exhausted most possibilities before parting with my $99. It's a shame that Mac's Disk Utility doesn't do the job it should, at least in regards to my case. Many thanks for your helpful reply.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.