• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Editing

Reaction score
hey, i need some help from you guys for video editing. please help =D

I mainly am editing little clips that are 18 seconds - 2min each and putting around 25 of them together into a video with a BUNCH of special effects in them. i get these clips from (i no i will get alot of flame for this) a game called "runescape". here is a video of something that im trying to do, keep in mind i want it much better though. please look at the first part of the video with the red lines coming out of the name.

YouTube - Runescape jiglojay 's bounty worlds / pvp vid 4 mask + santa pking

1. video editing applications:
Adobe after effects vs Final cut pro 7 (i have adobe after effects right now, i cant seem to find a torrent for final cut (lol))

2. movie converting:
my screen capture software is IShowU, it saves the files as a .mov, iv herd that you need .avi or .mp4 to edit videos. i have a program called "Xilisoft Video Converter". if any of you know about that program, tell me if what im doing is right...

1. add videos to the list
2. i select "AVI - Audio-Video Interleaved as the profile (output)
3. i select a custom quality of 9999

every movie converter i use lowers the quality of my video which is really, the method i use in the program i said above this is as close as i can get to the original video.

Thank you,
HoolyBop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You won't get flamed for making a video from runescape. You will get flamed for talking about attempting to use a torrent to illegally download software like Final Cut or Adobe After Effects (illegal activity is not welcome here).

Final Cut Pro ≠ Adobe After Effects
You're confusing two very different products. After Effects is a special effects application designed to help modify video. It's not a program designed for editing. Final Cut Pro is a video editor (think Adobe Premiere, if you don't know what that is I suggest you go take a look to learn about it). Final Cut Studio is the complete Final Cut package that includes Final Cut Pro, Motion (which is Apples form of After Effects), Color, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor.

I use FCP, that's what I prefer. We have After Effects at work, but I still use my own laptop when I edit graduation videos because I like FC and the other tools in FCS.

I don't know where you heard you need to use AVI to edit videos, unless you're talking to people in the world of Windows. Macs regularly use quicktime .MOVs, .MP4s, etc. to edit. I can't speak specifically for After Effects on OSX though, I can only assume that the program would import and use the standard video containers compatible with quicktime (which would include .mp4 and .mov).

OP
H
Reaction score
You won't get flamed for making a video from runescape. You will get flamed for talking about attempting to use a torrent to illegally download software like Final Cut or Adobe After Effects (illegal activity is not welcome here).

Final Cut Pro ≠ Adobe After Effects
You're confusing two very different products. After Effects is a special effects application designed to help modify video. It's not a program designed for editing. Final Cut Pro is a video editor (think Adobe Premiere, if you don't know what that is I suggest you go take a look to learn about it). Final Cut Studio is the complete Final Cut package that includes Final Cut Pro, Motion (which is Apples form of After Effects), Color, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro and Compressor.

I use FCP, that's what I prefer. We have After Effects at work, but I still use my own laptop when I edit graduation videos because I like FC and the other tools in FCS.

I don't know where you heard you need to use AVI to edit videos, unless you're talking to people in the world of Windows. Macs regularly use quicktime .MOVs, .MP4s, etc. to edit. I can't speak specifically for After Effects on OSX though, I can only assume that the program would import and use the standard video containers compatible with quicktime (which would include .mp4 and .mov).

iv been watching adobe after effect videos all day, i really like the program except for one thing. i CANT STAND the fact that you cant make a composition of a video thats 1min and then add another clip into the composition that is 1:15seconds without going to composition setting and messing with everything (i hope you know what im saying)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's because the design of AE (and motion for that matter) is meant for working with a specific length clip, when you want to expand it or shorten it, well, you've seen the fun that can be involved.

That's why you only want to use compositing/FX software for FX and use a timeline based video editor for general editing.

Unless you are trying to create a clip with cutouts, other clips layed in with motion, rotoscoping, etc.; it sounds a bit like you're attempting to make AE do something that it really isn't designed for. If you really like the Adobe products, get a package with Premiere in it to do your general editing/cutting/splicing/titling/basic overlay/etc. work and then use AE for FX that you may want to do with specific clips.

OP
H
Reaction score
It's because the design of AE (and motion for that matter) is meant for working with a specific length clip, when you want to expand it or shorten it, well, you've seen the fun that can be involved.

That's why you only want to use compositing/FX software for FX and use a timeline based video editor for general editing.

Unless you are trying to create a clip with cutouts, other clips layed in with motion, rotoscoping, etc.; it sounds a bit like you're attempting to make AE do something that it really isn't designed for. If you really like the Adobe products, get a package with Premiere in it to do your general editing/cutting/splicing/titling/basic overlay/etc. work and then use AE for FX that you may want to do with specific clips.

yea but if i have a video that is 1min and i want like 5 seconds of it to be in slow motion i cant to that with out speeding up a different 5 seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is why you are working in the wrong tool.

You use a video editor to define clips of a given recording (you can easily mark a video into multiple subclips so you can adjust just a portion of the video without adjusting the entire thing, and without necessarily using keyframes which scares many people off), many editors also directly allow you to manipulate time length of a clip (ie: slo-mo, speed-up), and if not enough control or features for what you want to change, you export that clip to AE (or motion) and make your time adjustments there then re-import into the video editor for placement with the rest of the clips.

Basically, I'm telling you - use the right tool for the right job. AE is part of a toolset, Premiere is another part of that toolset. Even if you look at Adobes website, you are trying to make AE into two different products, AE is for special effects, Premiere is for editing (and connecting multiple separate pieces of video together). Is it possible to do what you are trying in AE? Probably, but it sure won't be as enjoyable as just using the correct tools.

OP
H
Reaction score
That is why you are working in the wrong tool.

You use a video editor to define clips of a given recording (you can easily mark a video into multiple subclips so you can adjust just a portion of the video without adjusting the entire thing, and without necessarily using keyframes which scares many people off), many editors also directly allow you to manipulate time length of a clip (ie: slo-mo, speed-up), and if not enough control or features for what you want to change, you export that clip to AE (or motion) and make your time adjustments there then re-import into the video editor for placement with the rest of the clips.

Basically, I'm telling you - use the right tool for the right job. AE is part of a toolset, Premiere is another part of that toolset. Even if you look at Adobes website, you are trying to make AE into two different products, AE is for special effects, Premiere is for editing (and connecting multiple separate pieces of video together). Is it possible to do what you are trying in AE? Probably, but it sure won't be as enjoyable as just using the correct tools.

you sir, gave me the best advise from all 3 forums that iv asked help on. thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck, I'm sure you'll have a blast when you get it all together, I had pieced a bunch of clips from FRAPS of me playing some zombie levels a while back on COD:WAW (was a real basic video with a few clips, titles, and music from the soundtrack to tie the story of the 3 main zombie areas at the time together...) - I've wanted to do it again, but I just haven't had the time (or inspiration) to find something to do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.