Magic Mouse too slow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
The Bluetooth Magic Mouse is fairly neat once you get used to having no buttons or wheels. But on a 27 inch monitor is it way too SLOW! With the tracking cranked up to max, it still requires two passes over a large mouse pad to get from side to side.

This shouldn't have gotten out of Apple's final certification without being discovered. I assume that a future patch will fix this, but for now I advise people who are getting the huge IMacs to stay with a standard mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Quad Core i7 2.8 ghz 1TB HDD
That's strange because with my magic mouse with the tracking at the highest speed, it takes me about half a pass over the mouse pad to cross the whole screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yep agree with Mac Pro .... there might be more tweaking in preferences you need to do BC they are designed to do a single pass at MOST with the preferences set hi ....

Have a look around and play with it BC that isnt right. If still know joy i would be returning said mouse for a new one ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The Bluetooth Magic Mouse is fairly neat once you get used to having no buttons or wheels. But on a 27 inch monitor is it way too SLOW! With the tracking cranked up to max, it still requires two passes over a large mouse pad to get from side to side.

This shouldn't have gotten out of Apple's final certification without being discovered. I assume that a future patch will fix this, but for now I advise people who are getting the huge IMacs to stay with a standard mouse.

You can download software to make your mouse faster and to add more functionality.

I would suggest giving BetterTouchTool a shot before you toss away your mouse. You can add expose and other cool features to your mouse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,

Have you upgraded to to 10.6.2? Mine traverses from one side of a 24 to the other side of an extended desktop with 20' inch connected and that is without moving off a single sheet of A4.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Interesting responses. Hmmm. Is it possible that I have a bad mouse?
I have done a software update and am on 10.6.2.

So far I have found no preferences that will speed it up. However, I have found that the IMac is perfectly happy with two mice plugged in at the same time. With these results...

With the tracking set to max, the MM is still as slow as ever. That is, two passes on a pad to get from side to side. But the Logitech mouse, at that setting. is so fast as to be unusable. It slams from side to side with only a twitch.

To make the LM usable, the tracking is set to about 40 percent. At that setting the MM will move about 1/3 of the screen in one pass. A borrowed standard Apple mouse will work just fine like the LM.

So maybe I do have a bad mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok in the interest in covering all bases have a shot at installing this and then retest.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yeah, I felt the same way about the tracking speed. I think (and this is just my personal opinion) is that seasoned Mac users are used to slower tracking speeds and those of us coming from Windows expect to be able to throttle our mice up so that we only have to move them an inch or two to get across the screen.

I installed MouseZoom, and even with it set to "OS X crazy fast" (their wording, not mine) and it still seemed way too slow, compared to my Logitech m555b.

Apparently the tracking speeds vary depending on the system the mouse is installed on too. Take a look at this article for more tips and tricks:

Slow Tracking speeds for the new Magic Mouse | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I felt the same way about the tracking speed. I think (and this is just my personal opinion) is that seasoned Mac users are used to slower tracking speeds and those of us coming from Windows expect to be able to throttle our mice up so that we only have to move them an inch or two to get across the screen.

I installed MouseZoom, and even with it set to "OS X crazy fast" (their wording, not mine) and it still seemed way too slow, compared to my Logitech m555b.

Apparently the tracking speeds vary depending on the system the mouse is installed on too. Take a look at this article for more tips and tricks:

Slow Tracking speeds for the new Magic Mouse | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

Downloaded and used MagicPrefs here for a day or 2 and have a idea that it leaves scaling speed at last setting. Stopped using MagicPrefs as it gave unpredictable results but might be a quick way to set a different scaling speed if u don't want to use terminal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 Quad, 27", 8GB mem, 1TB disk, USB numeric keypad

I'm a fairly new Mac user -- about 3 months. When I first received my iMac 27" i7 Quad, the magic mouse was slow so I updated the settings.

However I discovered I had to stop using my mouse pad because the MM didn't track well on it. I now just use my wooden desk top - not ideal, but I get SPEED: a quick left or right gesture of only about 2 inches zaps the cursor right across the 27" screen.

I find the friction of the MM on a mousepad and also on a wooded desk to be a bit of a problem. I'm going to search here and elsewhere to find out what type of material tracks well and has low friction with the two plactic stripes on the MM.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.