Transferring Files from One Account to Another

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been transferring some files to another account on my computer through Finder > Macintosh HD > Users > Account. However, some have a Do Not Enter symbol, I was just wondering how to unlock these or be able to transfer them without using a EHD. When I go to drag and drop them into the other account it says "Can't be modified or deleted because it is required by Mac OS X. Is transferring it through EHD the only way to do this ? Please help, thanks guys. Happy New Year !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Sounds like you are trying to move things that you are not meant to.... the do not enter folders you are talking about should not be touched, yet alone moved to a user account. These belong where they are.
As an admin, you should have no problem setting up another user or admin user account, and anything that the OS won't let you modify or delete you should not be messing with.

OP
C
Reaction score
So I should put it on my EHD, all I want are the files inside of it !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
the only things you should need to add to a new account are applications that weren't installed as part of the OS X installation, and any documents, music, photos, etc.
The files inside of what?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If he is trying to salvage files stored in the Users "Home" folder for the original account that symbol will appear on some folders. Getting rid of that symbol requires changing the permission on that folder (which can be done through "Get Info").

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you Sly Dude.
6string - That's exactly what I'm trying to get man, I got the music, but the photos, documents, downloads, movies, etc. all have the symbol. and won't even let me open them when it's up to see what's inside.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OK if I remember correctly from the last time I did this here's a fix. Lets call the original account which did not have the symbol "old" and the account you are transferring to "new"
1.. Select one of the folders with the symbol and press Command I (otherwise known as Get Info).
2. Click the padlock and enter an administrator password. If you can't see the padlock click the "Sharing and Permissions" triangle.
3. In the next window that appears select the name of the "new" account. Before you leave this window make sure to use the drop down to change permissions from "No Access" to "Read/Write"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm pretty sure Mac Help tells you how to do this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.