Virus Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
according to your avatar your as old as Moses.

He is older than Moses and crankier. remember what happened to the Ten Commandments?

Only joking brother!

Reaction score
Also have a read of this link for your well being. Whilst it is a few years old, it is still up to date as no virus has yet come forward despite what the vendors may claim in their non-stop endeavours to turn a buck:-

Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

As for the "more trouble than it's worth" part, I once thought I had a virus on my Mac. I downloaded a McAfee trial, and McAfee used so much processor power that it caused the computer to seize up. I ended up having to install OS X all over again. o_O In the end, the virus was really just a browser cache problem...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
So Joseph steer well and truly clear of all AV on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.83 GHz
I agree with all of the responses that have said you don't really need any anti-virus software while using a mac. Although, I was forced to install one before I could use the wireless network at my university, even though I have a mac! So, when I had to get one I used the free ClamXav. It didn't negatively affect my computer or anything. So I guess my point is that even if you don't need it, but you some day need to get some virus software for your mac, there are some out there that are free and work pretty well on a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
Let Them Eat Mac

I don't think anyone is really trying not to be nice. Just telling you that at this time, a full time virus scanner is not necessary on OSX. That might change someday and if it does, we will warn our users also.

I keep ClamAV installed but not running in case some file with a Windows virus gets on my system so I can kill it rather than forwarding it to some poor Windows user.

I say, let the poor windows users worry about their virus issues. If they want to have clean virus/malware/trojan free experience then let them switch to Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.