Quick help

Reaction score
I am moving all selected .au files to my trash right now, and up comes a window that says
"finder requires that you type your password.

Details are Right:com.apple.desktopservices
Application: Finder

What do I do?

OP
HELIOPOLIS
Reaction score
I have a HTML DOCUMENT that is in there with what's going in the trash, will I enter the password and take that document back out?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know what it is, but I'd hit cancel instead of my password until I knew what it was.

Reaction score
Agreed. It could be a trojan or something that's trying to damage your computer.

Reaction score
A couple exist, they're hard to come by, and they require you to enter an admin password (I think, might be master). But still, it could also be some random hacker who is trying to get your info off the comp. It would be best to figure out what it is first.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
HELIOPOLIS
Reaction score
It's possible but when I clicked cancel the selected files I was moving to trash stopped partial way through the total amount, I took the html document out of the selection and sieved through the 30,000 or so files for other documents not .au(sun audio file) and took them out, I think it was the main.html document that was asking that password, I'm not too sure but I had no problem then deleting all other .au files...

...Although, something similar happened the other day too...

Reaction score
I don't really know exactly how, but you could try activity monitor (under utilities in the applications folder), look at the titles of the processes, and try to figure it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.