SOS help please. Macbook Pro won't turn on. Blinking Light

Reaction score
Hello to everyone this is my first post here and sadly its about a problem with my macbook pro.
The notebook in question is a 17'' Macbook Pro I bought in September 2008.
I simply closed it (without turning it off, just let it go on sleep) and took it with me as usual and when I tried turning it on again, it would not turn on.

I press the power button and I hear the hard drive/superdrive (not sure which of the two) start up and I see the sleep light turn on but after a few seconds its turns off again. If I hold the power button down for a few seconds the sleep light starts blinking and then the notebook turns off once more. In all cases the screen is black.

I tried everything here Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on and tried removing and re-installing the RAM and nothing changed.
Short of trying to re-install the RAM again I have no idea what to do. I won't be able to visit a Genius until after the 5th so any ideas/suggestions?

Reaction score
Did you try to boot it in safe mode after turning it off? I'm not sure if that will help, but it might do something.

Reaction score
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I am having the exact same problem with my 2008 MBP

Reaction score
Hello to everyone this is my first post here and sadly its about a problem with my macbook pro.
The notebook in question is a 17'' Macbook Pro I bought in September 2008.
I simply closed it (without turning it off, just let it go on sleep) and took it with me as usual and when I tried turning it on again, it would not turn on.

I press the power button and I hear the hard drive/superdrive (not sure which of the two) start up and I see the sleep light turn on but after a few seconds its turns off again. If I hold the power button down for a few seconds the sleep light starts blinking and then the notebook turns off once more. In all cases the screen is black.

I tried everything here Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on and tried removing and re-installing the RAM and nothing changed.
Short of trying to re-install the RAM again I have no idea what to do. I won't be able to visit a Genius until after the 5th so any ideas/suggestions?

Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try resetting the SMC see if that helps - this link for a Santa Rosa model.

Reaction score
Could it be to do with this? MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

I had a similar problem last week - tried to turn the macbook pro on and it made the start up noise but nothing came on the screen. I took it to an Apple retailer to get looked at and the logic board was replaced free of charge. Much to my relief!

I hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" (Mid 2010), iPhone 3GS
Try this if all others have failed:
Unplug the computer, disconnect the battery (if you can). Hold down the power button for minimum of 10 seconds. Reconnect all power sources.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Could it be to do with this? MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

I had a similar problem last week - tried to turn the macbook pro on and it made the start up noise but nothing came on the screen. I took it to an Apple retailer to get looked at and the logic board was replaced free of charge. Much to my relief!

I hope that helps.

Did you have warranty still? Or were you out of warranty?

C

chas_m

I do not know what specifically is the OP's issue, but I have heard a very similar story 1000 times from various laptop owners, and very often (not always, but very often) it turns out to be something I call "heat coma."

THE CAUSE: putting the machine to sleep when its hot and immediately sticking it in a bag or case. The laptop's temp sensors find that temps are still too high and can't vent, or sometimes something causes the machine to "wake up" while its still in the bag and can't vent. Bottom line: bad ventilation causes the problem.

THE RESULT: won't turn back on. Makes sounds like it is turning on or IS on, but screen remains black.

THE FIX: Remove battery and power from the machine. Let it sit for an hour. Put battery back in and start up. It will usually reboot normally at this point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.