Pen drive problem

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a an imac think my computer would now be problem free, but have been pullinh my hair out all day.
I attached my pen drive, which many of the files and folders have now been corrupted since being attached, and wont delete, and the pen drive has been write protected, which I cant change (and really need to). The imac now says it cant repair it every time I connect it to the computer.
Please help before it goes out of the window!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I assume your pen drive was originally on a Windows machine?
What format is the pen drive in (Fat, MS Dos?), and in what way have the files become corrupted?

OP
D
Reaction score
When I attach it, it says that it cant fix the drive.
In the info box it states: MS-DOS (FAT32)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. Are you running disk utility to look at the drive? If so are you running it from the OS or from the install disc? Much better to be using it from the install disc.
Open the utility, and verify the permissions on the pen drive (assuming it shows up, which it should). Then verify the drive itself.
See if that all helps.

OP
D
Reaction score
It wint let me verify permissions. The button for that is dulled. I've used this pen drive for a long time and its only been a problem since i put it in the mac, and its now happened with 2 drives!!! I hoped it was a problem with the drive!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried putting it back in a Windows machine?
Also, as that button is dulled, go to the "erase " tab, and see if it would let you reformat it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Have you tried putting it back in a Windows machine?
Also, as that button is dulled, go to the "erase " tab, and see if it would let you reformat it.

Already tried both. Though I was wondering if the problem came about from compatability issues. I have Office for the mac and PC though?
I cant format the drive on either because its now write protected.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. How did that happen?

OP
D
Reaction score
Hmm. How did that happen?

Since putting it in the mac? Is there anything thats happening between the mac and the pc that is causing this? I've given up on the pendrives now, but am afraid to put another one into the machine, which means at the moment its nothing more than just a pretty box!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Have you looked in the drop down boxes under "get info" with the drive plugged in?
Take a look to see if the "locked" tab is ticked. If so unlock it and see if you van then read/write.
If you have no luck, and assuming you still have access to Windows, then look at this article, which should help.

Remove Write Protection On USB Pen Drive or Memory Card or iPod

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok. Have you looked in the drop down boxes under "get info" with the drive plugged in?
Take a look to see if the "locked" tab is ticked. If so unlock it and see if you van then read/write.
If you have no luck, and assuming you still have access to Windows, then look at this article, which should help.

Remove Write Protection On USB Pen Drive or Memory Card or iPod

No locked tab to see. Tried the link earlier. I know its me who has done something here, just need to know what so I dont do it again. Tried calling apple, and the guy was convinced it was a problem with the drive, but for it to happen to two at the same time, Im not so sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope nor am I.
I presume the link didn't help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
What type of drives are you using ? Did they perhaps come with a security software installed by the manufacture ?

Clay

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.