problems with AOL instant messenger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
So I am at the University of Maryland on campus, AIM usually works fine, but recently when I sign on it has problems I appear as online to other people, but when I try to IM somebody it doesnt show up in my screen although they receive the IM. If they send one to me, I don't get it. I can't see people's profiles or away messages yet people sign on and off I see that. When I try to IM somebody, it says connection timed out or something like that. This is really frustrating. Anybody know what I can do? I think it must be something with my powerbook or something because all my friends in the dorm aren't having a problem with their AIM. Plus AOL has like nonexistant support for AIM. Thanks!

J

Jefe3223

I assume this means your AIM is freakin' out when you're on your powerbook on campus....welp, lets just put it like this:AIM stinks. It does, i'm sorry. (side note, are all your other friends mac users, 'cause that's both rare and REALLY cool). I suggest using ichat...it does the same stuff and it's nicer (or adium [like I use] or other software for free out there). My AIM isn't too great either, it continually says i'm using too much memory or such and tells me to sign on again in 10 min...try getting a date with THAT problem. Haha, but I digress; ditch aim, use ichat. best thing I can say, 'cause aol IS NOT mac friendly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i agree with jefe

use adium (adiumx.html) and your life should be better.....or even ichat....both work with aim accounts

-chris

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
but ichat had problems too. like its something wrong with aims server. Because when I am on using a windows computer it works fine. So is there something that may be corrupt with my preferences or is it something with a network connection problem like proxy settings etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple iMAC Core Duo (20"/1gb/250/SD/BT/AP)
Download Fire. Its a Instant Messenger Program that supports all of the IM services

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
im also using a PowerBook on a campus, and used to have similar problems...use Adium, you won't be dissapointed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.