office 2004 and macbook pro 2009

Reaction score
Hi again - I need some more advice on my new macbook pro - I want to install my old Office 2004 software - is it compatible? It says I need to install Rosetta? Is this going to be ok?
Nik

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Office 2004 is compatible. To install Rosetta, you'll need your Snow Leopard DVD. However, it may have already been installed if you bought your MBP with Snow Leopard already preinstalled.

Regards.

Reaction score
Yes, it will run on a Macbook Pro. BUT I found I was getting Word hangs, windows that would not refresh, beachballs left and right. This was surprising to me, because it runs fine (although slowly) on my Intel iMac running 10.6.2. Must be something different about the MacBook Pros; I would describe it as functional but only just.

Just installed Office 2008 and everything is MUCH faster, and no obvious misbehavior in any of the apps. As soon as I get home I'm dumping 2004 on that machine too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Nik, iWork 09 is very capable, why not check that out? That way you don't need rosetta and u will miss out on the surprising format changes of Office 04. Both Numbers and Pages can export in Office formats and other formats and will import those files as well, so probably the only missing features are high end Excel ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17", 2.33Mgz, Core Duo, 3GB ram, 360GB HDD 8xDVD burner, etc.
Yes, it will run on a Macbook Pro. BUT I found I was getting Word hangs, windows that would not refresh, beachballs left and right. This was surprising to me, because it runs fine (although slowly) on my Intel iMac running 10.6.2. Must be something different about the MacBook Pros; I would describe it as functional but only just.

Just installed Office 2008 and everything is MUCH faster, and no obvious misbehavior in any of the apps. As soon as I get home I'm dumping 2004 on that machine too...

I found this to be quite true. My only complaint is that to record audio in the notebook template of word it must be in the foreground...kinda defeats purpose if i am multitasking while recording.

But, 2008 is nice-and fast.

Best regards,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.