Battery Tips For My Friend

Reaction score
I just purchased a new macbook pro 13" for my girlfriend, i calibrated the battery for her, if her old Windows XP laptop she liked to constantly plug that laptop to the AC.

I told her with the new macbook pro, let the battery run down to 40% and then plug it into the AC, is this bad? what else can i tell her? she mainly uses the macbook at home

I have read this article

Apple - Support - Discussions - Apple notebook batteries ? maintenance ...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I recommend keeping it plugged in whenever you are sitting next to an outlet.
Use it on battery when you're not.
In general, it should be used the way the owner "wants" to use it, just keeping in mind the general recommendations.

My wifes' MB is only used at home, now about 30 months old stays connected to power at all times, 'cepting when I borrow it. 24 cycles at this point, has been calibrated one time, and it's current max capacity is higher than original.

I would never suggest someone unplug it from power just because the battery is at a full charge. That is a waste of the limited # of cycles any battery can take.

OP
K
Reaction score
thanks for the reply , so basically what she was doing with her old windows laptop should be ok

i was thinking she can plug it into the AC during the day and night use it on the battery power and repeat that cycle the next day

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And I would ask, why unplug it when she's still sitting in the same place right next to the outlet.

Reaction score
I do have to warn you, keeping the laptop plugged in constantly is not good for the battery, at least based on my experience. I kept my laptop plugged in for basically about a month, and then I saw a 40% reduction in battery life. My friends I have talked to have had similar experiences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
I do have to warn you, keeping the laptop plugged in constantly is not good for the battery, at least based on my experience. I kept my laptop plugged in for basically about a month, and then I saw a 40% reduction in battery life. My friends I have talked to have had similar experiences.

But after a Battery Calibration did u still see that 40% reduction

Reaction score
It is true that I didn't re-calibrate the battery, but it still only lasted roughly three hours as opposed to the five hours I had been getting. I thought re-calibrating is only for the computer to guess battery life, can it also fix battery memory effects?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.