• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

pal dvds...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I have a dvd, its PAL, I know you can't technically convert it to NTSC, but does anyone at least have a work around? it plays on my moms dvd player, but not on either of mine. any thoughts?

Reaction score
On most DVD players, it allows you to change the decooding format 5 times. So, if you play it on your mac, you should be able to change the decoder to PAL. Let me know if that works/doesn't work.

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no, my mac plays them fine without asking or anything, more than 5 times at least Ive alternated, so thats not it. my moms dvd player has a button that says ntsc/pal, so you can choose, and they work fine on hers when I hit that button.

E

embries

They've removed this functionality from the majority of US market home DVD players because they don't want you getting prerelease or other region versions of their movies. You may still be able to find some of the older ones that were mulitregion (and can convert PAL to NTSC).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
can you rip it and reburn??? just a thought i really have no clue
-chris

E

embries

you'd have to convert it to ntsc, then downsize it to fit on a DVD5 and then burn it, but it could be done

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if I can convert it to ntsc, I can get it onto a dvd, but how can I convert it?

E

embries

few quick googles returned several mac products for just this sort of thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
couldnt this be done manually? my brothers german teacher has the PAL version of titanic and a few others she'd like to veiw on an american DVD player. Couldnt i just DVD to AVI, throw it in FCP and export it as NTSC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
oooh!

i set my DVD-player to region 9, witch is a multi:)

OP
Macman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@madskillz man: yea, but I need the menus and features, if you make it an avi, you lose that.
@ nightcrawler: PAL and NTSC have nothing to do with region, not really, except that many Pal are not region 1 as they are from europe and other countries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.