Just want something to search my documents--am I asking too much here???

Reaction score
OK. I have a large (4,000) collection of .html essays by G.K. Chesterton. On my PC, I could "search" any words that came to mind, and as I typed, relevant essays would appear, with the search terms highlighted.

I want to set up the same thing on my mac, but Finder won't show me inside documents at all, and Google desktop won't highlight the search term.

The only programs I've found with half-decent search capability are big industrial-strength document/scan/memo/email/life-coach-and-personal-secretary apps, like DevonThink, eagleFiler, Yojimbo, Yep, etc, etc, etc, etc.... These are all severe overkill and they all cost around $40.

Am I asking too much? I mean, it seems like such a very simple task. There are ten million free windows apps that do exactly what I want, which is to search documents (I'd used Copernic Desktop search, back when I had XP). Is there even one like this for OSX? Tell me there is....

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Spotlight, built into OS X, should be able to search through those documents with no problem. But if you've installed Google Desktop, it's most likely superceded the built in Spotlight index. I'm not certain how effective Google Desktop is compared to Spotlight, but I've never had any issue with Spotlight's search capabilities.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have you tried Spotlight (Mac's built in search software)? If not, click the magnifying glass in the upper right corner of your screen. Enter the search term in the box that appears and see if it doesn't search inside your documents.

Spotlight can do quite a bit more. From the Finder go the Help menu and choose Mac Help. If you type Spotlight as the search term you will find out more useful Spotlight tips. Or check out Getting Started: Spotlight Searches | Mac Guru Lounge. I think you might really like the Saved Searches feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
Yes Spotlight is great and is already built into Macs. It can do more than just search through documents, folders and applications, but gives you dictionary searches and is a calculator.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
OP
K
Reaction score
Wow, y'all on this forum are great. Thanks for the replies.

You all suggested Spotlight, and I'm sorry I was unclear when I said:

"Finder won't show me inside documents at all..."

By "Finder" I meant "Spotlight."

SPOTLIGHT is great, but I want something to show me the document's CONTENTS as I search.

GOOGLE is better still, but I want something that HIGHLIGHTS the searched terms.

I've searched long and failed to find a mac app to display a document like this (short of the $40+ suites, as I mentioned above).

If there's nothing else, I'm just going to buy DevonThink.
I'm sad, though, to pay $40 just to accomplish this simple task... it seems like a college student could program something that does what I want.

Thanks again for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You say in your first post that the docs are .html, which indicates that you use a browser to view/read them.

I know that within Camino - and, I believe, other browsers - there is a comprehensive Search function using Cmd-F. Eg. I type Chesterton in the search field and it leads me immediately to your first post on this web page, highlighting that word.

Try Cmd-F from desktop as well. It uses Finder, and I'm persuaded it does a better, ie. more thorough, job than Spotlight (which I very seldom use nowadays).

OP
K
Reaction score
I really apprecciate the help, but it looks like I still haven't communicated clearly what I need.
I'll try to be completely, 100% precise about what my document search apps do, that I need in OSX.

1. When I type words into a search box, my app must show me all indexed documents that contain what's in the search box.

2. The app must also preview the documents in a pane, while

3. showing me clearly where the searched terms appear, (say, by highlighting the words).

I've given up looking at this point. I'm going to buy DevonThink when my trial expires. If anyone has any ideas, though, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Three things:
1. Yes, a browser page search will show you only what is on that page, I should have made that clearer,
2. I'm a little surprised that neither Cmd-F from desktop; nor Spotlight, will show you what you seek. I cannot replicate your situation, but in searches I've done myself for (sometimes) obscure items, Cmd-F has located every example.
3. Showing everything you ask would appear, I think, in your situation, to be beyond the MacOS, and, as I think you've already realised, will require a third-party application.

PS. Let Apple know of your requirements. They do read and listen, and occasionally act on what people tell them the OS needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Cmd-F is Spotlight also. So I've been told...

It is more robust in the resulting window than the "quick" menu search box.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.