How much RAM do i need?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody MacBook 2.26 2gb RAM, Ipod Touch 8gb 1st Gen, Ipod Touch 8gb 2nd Gen, eMac.
I just got my new MacBook Unibody with 2GB of RAM and i wanted to know if an upgrade is needed. I use my laptop to do schoolwork, facebook, ichat and download music pretty much all the time.

Would upgrading RAM make my macbook faster at all or would it not be affected at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Upgrading the RAM would help if you were running several apps at once or doing some graphics intensive work like Final Cut or Photoshop. 2gb is very adequate, but if you just really want to make the move to 4gb, it's not that expensive if you do it on your own. Go to crucial.com and enter your specs to see which RAM is compatible with your machine. I haven't looked there in a while so I don't know what the price range is right now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One stat that might help you decide whether a memory upgrade is needed is the number of page ins/page outs that occur. The more page outs that occur the more your Mac is having to read from the virtual memory file on your hard drive thus slowing things down. Here's a summary of how to use Activity Monitor to find/interpret that information. Does my mac need more memory? | Macintosh How To

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
2GB of RAM is more than enough for the stuff that you listed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.