My MacBook has PMT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3Ghz, 4GB RAM, Nano, iPhone4, Shuffle
I have a problem with my Mac and DVDs/CDs/VCDs.

It doesn't play them.

I have tried holding option,cmd,p,r and that hasn't helped.

I have also tried going into the disk utility and repairing and verifying disk permissions and that seems to have done nothing either. I have only been getting this problem since I upgraded to Snow Leopard...

I put any kind of CD/DVD in it spins it for maybe 3-4 seconds before it gets chucked out again. If one does stay in there for longer then it isn't even acknowledged as being in there, no icons come up on the desktop or on the HD.

Help! I just want to watch Family Guy FFS! :Shouting:

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How old is your Mac and did the problem start exactly when you upgraded to Snow Leopard?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody MacBook 2.26 2gb RAM, Ipod Touch 8gb 1st Gen, Ipod Touch 8gb 2nd Gen, eMac.
Most problems with the "SuperDrive" can only be solved by apple repair services.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Raz0redge,

Not entirely sure it was at the same time, in fact I think it was working briefly after Snow Leopard.

Last time it wasn't working it just seemed to fix itself but I have since moved to the ars*hole of nowhere in Australia and don't have easy access to an Apple store. I guess I will just have to wait until I am in Melbourne?

I take it the suggestions I have already mentioned are pretty much everything that I could try by myself?

Regards

Stuart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First off buy one of those CD/DVD cleaner discs and give it a couple of runs through and see if there is any improvement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
This happened to me.

I used the a CD to clean my super drive, no improvement. I then tried compressed air, once again, no improvement.

I sent in my MBP to Apple and they put in a new superdrive.

If you are under Apple Care, call them up. :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This happened to me.

I used the a CD to clean my super drive, no improvement. I then tried compressed air, once again, no improvement.

I sent in my MBP to Apple and they put in a new superdrive.

If you are under Apple Care, call them up. :)

Yeah I think Ill wait until I am in Melbourne and see if they can do something about it at Apple store. I don't have Apple Care, it's something I didn't find out about until after I bought my mac and the expense now isn't really worth it.

Thanks for the advice, maybe it will just fix itself again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB Ram Running Snow Leopard
Apple care replaced my DVD drive on my previous MBP 3 times...the 3rd time it didn't work as soon as I unpacked it. Send it in if you're still under warranty. If you're not under warranty, try cleaning with a cd drive cleaner. Also a few have reported using a QTip and rubbing alcohol or benzine to clean the lens of the drive, but that method is best if you are tech savvy and can take the computer and drive apart for cleaning. Either way, a warranty repair is your best bet if that's an option.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can access Applecare until the machine is twelve months old.

Apple - Support - AppleCare

Yeah mine was 2 years old in August '09. So unfortunately I've missed the boat. It's a fair bit more expensive if you don't get it at point of purchase anyway and the MacBook has been faultless up until now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sadly Applecare is like life insurance. You do not need it until it is too late!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.