Would this mac be ok for...

Reaction score
Looking at buying this mac...

Apple PowerMac G5 Single Processor 1.6GHz, 1GB, 80GB,FX5200 Graphics

Would this be ok for photoshop, youtube, videos/dvd's etc...
Basically what you would use a new imac today for...

Also does it have two DVI or VGA ports so i can connect my two monitors...

Cheers for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Frankly, and this is from a guy who is still a PPC fan, don't bother. It's an old architecture and you will be more and more restricted as to what software will run on it in the coming year(s). Developers are moving away from Universal Binaries and to Intel only software. Buy a used older Intel iMac or just save and buy a new one. You'll be a lot happier for a lot longer.

OP
T
Reaction score
Frankly, and this is from a guy who is still a PPC fan, don't bother. It's an old architecture and you will be more and more restricted as to what software will run on it in the coming year(s). Developers are moving away from Universal Binaries and to Intel only software. Buy a used older Intel iMac or just save and buy a new one. You'll be a lot happier for a lot longer.

Thanks for the reply...

I don't think i can afford a new imac...

All i do is, watch videos threw VLC, Photoshop, flickr, forums, youtube (will this work well, i know some older macs can't handle it) DVD's etc...

i am selling my gaming computer to get an xbox...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I know my old G3 could not handle youtube at all but a G5 should be able to handle it pretty well and everything else you said. But as all the above have said old hardware design. So maybe camping out on the Apple referbished store for a while to snap up a bargin there might be your best bet if you can't afford a new intel Mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
ill think i will do that thanks...

How much roughly, do they go for a new imac for say...

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you cannot afford an Intel machine, at least get a Dual Processor 2GHz or 2.3GHz, or even better a Dual Core 2GHz, or 2.3GHz. Do not go for the liquid cooled models as teye have had problems with leaks.

The 1.6 was the first G5 released, and like motor cars, when the bugs are ironed out, later releases are improved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
I just sold my 1.6 in November and "upgraded" (if you can call it that, in the age of Intel) to a dual processor 2.0 G5. Both had the same nVidia GeForce 6800 video card. Both were maxed out on RAM. The 1.6 was noticeably slow as compared to the Dual 2.0. VLC, MPlayer, and even YouTube would drop frames. HD video is choppy at best. I think you'll be happier spending a few more dollars on a Dual processor or Dual Core machine as Harry said.

OP
T
Reaction score
Update: Found new mac

Hi guys, after more searching, i have found another powermac!

This spec:

PowerMac G5 2Ghz Dual Core 2.5gig RAM 240GB HD OSX 10.5

How would this suit me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Perfectly.

Get that one if it's in your budget.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.