transferring large amounts of data via wifi

Reaction score
Hi

I have a new macbook pro and am trying to trnasfer all of my music and pictures via wifi-file sharing.

I am 17GB of 22GB through and it has stopped and is saying the connection is interupted and do I want to disconnect all. This has already been going for 2 days and I dont ant to have to restart it. I wanted to use firewire but the apple support guy told me to do it this way - it has been SLOW!!!

If I disconnect will it restart the transfer or will I have to start over?

Any suggestions?

Nik

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It should just continue from where it stalled to be honest.
Firewire would have been easier!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
For large transfers, and 22GB definitely qualifies as that, you should try a hard connection, Ethernet cable, Firewire, USB or something..WiFi cannot sustain it's connection for one stream for a long time. In actuality it's constantly sending/resending packets due to drops..

Regards

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks

Yeah I thought it sounded like a dumb idea but the it support guy was insistent - I have cancelled and using firewire. Thanks for your comments.
N

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.