My iMac has life of its own !?..

Reaction score
algarve in sunny southern Portugal,near the sea
Your Mac's Specs
intel 17'', 2Ghz I-Mac replaced under warranty by an alu 20'' iMac
hello to all
in the last few days something most disconcerting has been happening on my iMac : when i'm typing something ( regardless if using Mail, TextEdit, filling out a ''box'' or other.. ) suddenly it starts typing capital i's endlessly, like this : IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII - luckily in ''short'' 15 to 20 letter bursts, except twice where it kept doing it until i restarted it.
first, even though it's a new keyboard that has NEVER had a drink spilled over it, i thought a key was sticking so i removed the batteries from my wireless keyboard &.....it kept typing alone thus ruling out the keyboard as the source of ...
i don't know if related but a few days before it did twice a burst of alert sounds ( i have funk selected.. ) that sounded like a ''machine gun'' effect made of said funk alert sound
so far i've only had three or four episodes but i'm dreading this could become more serious - as in permanent..
anyone has a clue what this is ? is this a symptom something nastier is about to happen ? should i stop using the iMac until this is sorted? any help will be greatly appreciated
thanks
Nuno

Reaction score
I recommend trying to just unplug that keyboard completely and plug in a different one, preferably USB instead of wireless. See if the problem goes away and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What OS are you run ning on the iMac? If Leopard have you updated to X.5.8 using the combo updater available here:-

Mac OS X 10.5.8 Combo Update

Download the update and leave in Downloads folder, disconnect all peripherals and particular AV if you have any installed, run Repair Permissions. Drag combo updater to desktop and run. Reboot takes quite a few minutes.

After reboot run Repair Permissions again, reconnect, and see if your problem, is gone. If you are running Snow Leopard, and it always assists if you include the OS in your Avater, go to the Apple web site and download OS X.6.2 combo updater and follow install suggestions. Keep us posted?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi guys !
and thanks for the input ! before any of this i did a clean, fresh re-install of OS X & only then did i install Snow Leopard, i ran it for around three weeks without ANY misbehaviour or compaibility issue. i'll give it a shot at using a USB keyboard - that's the one that came with my iMac anyway so.. - but now since i'm not at home i don't know if i'm running 10.5.8 or what, i'll look into it . i'm also calling Apple so that if anything major happens in the near future ( my warranty is about to end.. ) there is SOME form of record with them to support any future claim . it has also been suggested elsewhere to run an hardware test, which i will..
i'll tell you how it goes
meanwhile have a happy new year, at least one free from too many ghosts in the machine !...LOL...
cheers
Nuno

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
better late..

hi guys
just to update - even if a little late !!... - what happened w/ the keyboard : took it to my friendly Apple dealer & a week later i got a new keyboard. they apologized for the time delay claiming if it was up to them they would give me a new one straightaway but the Apple importer to Portugal has a bureaucratic view on these matters & prefers to leave a customer hanging for a week than to risk loosing what ? 15€ on a keyboard ? since i had the wired one, no problem...
many thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.