4gb? Is that it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unibody macbook
Hi everyone,

I got a unibody macbook. Just wondering if 4 gb is really the max I can go?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Check at Crucial.com to see how much you can put in your particular machine.

I would ask... Why? For what purpose is it that you think you need more than 4GB?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unibody macbook
Check at Crucial.com to see how much you can put in your particular machine.

I would ask... Why? For what purpose is it that you think you need more than 4GB?

Just wondering.... However, I have 3gb and some times I see the rainbow thinking circle.

I get it quite a bit. Do you think more ram will fix that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with bobtomay, however, for info purposes, your particular MacBook can accept 6 GB of memory. As for the spinning wheel... when it happens what are you doing at the time?

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unibody macbook
I have a few firefox windows open, itunes, aduim, ical....

I don't do any photo or video editing or anything like that.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unibody macbook
I agree with bobtomay, however, for info purposes, your particular MacBook can accept 6 GB of memory. As for the spinning wheel... when it happens what are you doing at the time?

Regards.

Really 6g?

Awesome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See "Signature".
I've got an Aluminum Unibody with 4Gb in it. I do some graphics type stuff with SnapFish and Pixen, some audio with Audacity, the intermittent game of Star Wars Battlefront, I'll use Celestia or Stellarium from time to time, plus Safari, Adium, iTunes, and MS Excel are open 99% of the time. Even with this, I'm yet to experience any lag due to a lack of RAM.

There are people who do far more than we do on our machines who have "only" 4Gb of RAM. I don't know if you'd see as significant of an improvement as you're expecting, although that machine shouldn't be slow by any means.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Before you spend the extra dough to max the ram try running for a while with Activity Monitor open (you can find it in your Utilities folder). When the spinning wheel happens what processes are using the most cpu time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook /intel core 2 duo/ 2GB RAM/250GB HD/Snow Leopard...iPhone 4 (:
i just got the new uni WhiteBook too and i heard only 4 but then i went on crucial i think it was and they had a 6GB for my MB when i put in which one i had.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unibody macbook
Before you spend the extra dough to max the ram try running for a while with Activity Monitor open (you can find it in your Utilities folder). When the spinning wheel happens what processes are using the most cpu time?

Picture 2.png

This is what on average I have open. Oh I forgot, I usually have youtube open and is usually streaming tv from justin.tv... Don't have cable... I currently have 3gb installed and I still get the hour glass.

Is it better to have a bunch of firefox windows open or should I just tab every thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
View attachment 11941

This is what on average I have open. Oh I forgot, I usually have youtube open and is usually streaming tv from justin.tv... Don't have cable... I currently have 3gb installed and I still get the hour glass.

Is it better to have a bunch of firefox windows open or should I just tab every thing?

I read it somewhere that if the ram is not in matching pairs in the Mac there
would not be a significant performance increase so I have to ask as it has always been in duplicate pairs on the Apple site how did you end up with 3
instead of 2 or 4.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unibody macbook
I read it somewhere that if the ram is not in matching pairs in the Mac there
would not be a significant performance increase so I have to ask as it has always been in duplicate pairs on the Apple site how did you end up with 3
instead of 2 or 4.

Well it's a ddr3 pc8500 like the stock one. a buddy of mine gave it to me but he only had the one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.