this may sound like a very foolish question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac G5, Power PC duel-core 1.83 Ghz.
So I have a G5 that I bought to get acquainted with mac os x and I love it but it seems like i missed the boat as far as software for ppc architecture is concerned. I love the computer its awesome but it seems as though I will have to get a intel based mac to keep up with the times. When I do though I was wondering if I could make a intel frankinmac out of my old hardware by replacing the mobo, processor and cooling?? in effect treating the hardware I own already as a barebones kit with most of the stuff i want already there?? Has any one tried to do this. I know that you cant upgrade the cpu in a G5 because the cpu and mobo are integrated so I was wondering if this is just a horrible idea??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It may be possible, but it wouldn't be legal as evidenced by this months court decision ordering Psystar to cease and desist.

It is against the EULA to install OS X on non-Apple hardware and it is in fact not that easy a task as the encryption must be broken in order to do it.

As such, being against U.S. law, it is not up for further discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.