Force Dual Boot Menu?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I have Bootcamp set up with XP for games but since I use a non-Apple keyboard I can't use the "Hold the alt key at boot" to get the dual boot menu. I can get back and forth by using the Startup Disk menu in OSX and Dual Boot manager in XP but that is fairly cumbersome.

Anybody know of a way to force the dual boot menu to appear every time? I believe that I have seen a Mac that is set up that way in the store (200 miles away, alas). It would just sit at the screen with the picture of the two disk drives until the mouse was clicked or a key was pressed. So I think it is possible - I just haven't googled it up or found it in the System Preferences.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no option without a 3rd party app for the boot menu to show up on every boot.

The recommended app for this is rEFIt.

There are a lot of people that do not use Apple keyboards (I would bet most that use an external keyboard do not) that are able to get to the boot menu by pressing 'alt'.

You can also bring up the boot menu with the menu button on your Apple remote.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, then I can stop looking in OSX.

I have a PC keyboard with two alt keys, but no amount of pressing of them (or the ctrl, F8 or any other) will bring up the menu. Too old I guess.

It would never have occurred to me that a remote would do it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try pressing the Option key after the chimes and keep held until the gear wheel shows up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try pressing the Option key after the chimes and keep held until the gear wheel shows up.

Yes, unlike on a Windows machine where you would just hit a key once to get into the BIOS or go to safe mode, etc.; you need to press the alt key and hold it down until the boot menu shows.

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have held down the Alt, CTRL, Enter and most other control keys trying to find one that works, but no luck so far. Unfortunately, using a utility like doublecommand, while it allows building an Option key, the utility obviously doesn't get loaded until long after the boot process.

Also, my machine was delivered with the wireless keyboard, which I hate from an ergonomic standpoint. I have to have a tactile feedback keyboard or my typing goes back to two fingers. But the wireless Option/Alt key doesn't bring up the menu either. I assume that it is because bluetooth doesn't become active until the OS does.

I am out of keyboards - at least for this weekend. I will borrow a couple of different types next week and try them.

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're right about the wireless keyboard not working for these purposes. Wireless keyboards are not recognized early enough in the boot process to bring up the menu that you want.

I'm not sure why you are not getting that menu by pressing and holding the alt key. It has worked with every Windows keyboard I've tried as long as I remembered to press the key immediately after the startup chime.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have held down the Alt, CTRL, Enter and most other control keys trying to find one that works, but no luck so far. Unfortunately, using a utility like doublecommand, while it allows building an Option key, the utility obviously doesn't get loaded until long after the boot process.

Strange that the Windows keyboard didn't work. The ALT key should have done the job.... Anyway, why not download and install "BootPicker". That will automatically display a dual boot menu each time. All you have to do is move the arrow and press enter to choose. BootPicker is free.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.