Compact Flash Card - Free Space Not Accurate in OS X

G

GTwinkie

Hey gang...

Just hooked up a CF card reader to my G5 iMac (Panther) and was importing some photos from that I took with my Canon PowerShot S230 on a 256 MB card. And I realized that even when I deleted all the files from my CF Card, it doesn't free up space on the card, even though there is nothing left on it!

To double check, I put the CF card back in my camera and it too says it is full even though there are no pictures on there. I then had to format it on the camera.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a file system incompatibility somewhere here?

It's no big deal... I can always just format the CF card in my camera and have it work just fine, but I just thought it was a little weird.

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Hmm, that is weird. Maybe the camera isn't recognizing that the card is empty, and won't say that it is until it formats it itself. I honestly don't know what you should do. Try the Camera or Card Manufacturer's website. Or, try iPhoto support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
cant you use iPhoto to import your photos?

also, can you format the CF card with the camera?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I had a similar program with a SD 512, it seems to me that OS X keeps some files in the ".trashes" folder. Try connecting the card and check you Trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.