No Audio Playback in iMovie/QuickTime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
I went to import some video into iMovie HD (using iMac 17" 1.25 GHz) with my Canopus ADVC-100. When recording, the audio comes thru just fine. When I try to play back in iMovie I get no audio, just video.

I hooked the device up to my PowerBook and it works perfectly, when I save the files as QuickTime they also play with no error. I copy them to the iMac and as before, no audio.

I can play MPG/AVI on the iMac same with no problem, for some reason it's with my iMovie recording.

I've compared Preferences, recycled power on the ADVC, rebooted the iMac, plugged and unplugged & used a different FW port, still no luck.

Both the iMac and PowerBook have QuickTime 7, iLife '05 and Panther 10.3.9.

Short of looking for preference files to remove, I'm open to ideas.

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update

IanCT said:
I went to import some video into iMovie HD (using iMac 17" 1.25 GHz) with my Canopus ADVC-100. When recording, the audio comes thru just fine. When I try to play back in iMovie I get no audio, just video.

Update: I just went to my previously saved iMovie projects on my FW drive, all of which I have created on this computer, and NONE of them play the audio, only video.

I suspect QuickTime... Can I delete a preference file or something and restore it to normal?

OP
IanCT
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
djlee12 said:
Try repairing the permissions using Disk Utility.

I did that too. I also reverted back to 6.5.2, which worked fine, upgraded back to 7 again and had the same problem.

I'm getting Tiger anyway, looks like I'll just stick with it until 10.4 gets here and hope it doesn't do the same thing after upgrade. :p

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.