I Need Help!!! no display after RAM upgrade

Reaction score
1st post here, hope I came to the right forum..

well here is my situation. I am running an intel iMac core 2 duo the 7,1 version.

I know I can upgrade to 4 gb Ram and was in the process of doing so.
I was installing a matched pair of PNY DDR2 PC2-5300....so 2 2gb ram sticks

after installing and reconnecting then powering up I am greeted with some mild fan noise and that familiar chime that says we have lift off.

after that the screen remains at a blank black screen almost as if the display it self has went out.

I did some troubleshooting and reinstalled the orignal 1gb chip that came with the computer. no problems, starts-up fine. I added each 2 gb individually into the other slot and booted up with a total of 3gb ram each time. I even switched the slots to make sure it wasn't the port itself.

basically I'm starting up perfect with 3 gb running but as soon as I try to have 4gb installed I get no display.

anyone have any idea how to fix this issue? I need 4 gigs to run multiple guitar amp mods in pro tools for a session this weekend. HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G;day and welcome to the forumns.

First question - did the memory come from a Mac supplier or a PC shop, as most PC memory is high density and Macs geberally are pretty fussy about using low density models?

Here are the precise memory specs for your machine:-

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/5300DDR2S2GB/

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like bad or incorrect memory modules to me.

I would highly recommend sticking with either OWC or Crucial.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm using PNY memory so I guess I'm going to return those and try to get OWC or crucial and try those out. any place I can pick those up or do I have to order online?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm using PNY memory so I guess I'm going to return those and try to get OWC or crucial and try those out. any place I can pick those up or do I have to order online?

OWC is THE place to shop for Mac stuff, although others use Newegg, even Amazon. Interestingly - OWC use branded RAM, not their own product. OWC is a clearing house - they source components, test them for compatibility with Mac, and then sell onward. The last RAM I bought a few months ago - from way down here in NZ - from OWC, is Hynix brand. It works just fine.

Ordering online is a breeze with OWC Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC. They make every effort to keep you informed of order status and expected delivery time [and I get no lolly whatever for saying all this].

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.