Just upgraded Macbook to 2gb RAM - should I go from Tiger to Snow?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an old Macbook - got it back in June 2006 right when they were released. It had been running pretty slowly, so I upgraded the two 512mb chips to two 1GB. It's running much better now.

I still have Tiger, and was wondering if it would run even faster if I upgraded to Snow Leopard. Or...would it go slower because Snow has higher requirements? I'm not sure what to do here - I'm pretty much just looking for how I can get the optimal performance.

I use my computer for pretty basic things: internet, movies, music, Word, Excel, etc.

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Sorry but snow leopard will not run on a ppc MacBook. Leopard is as high as you'll be able to go.

Clay

OP
M
Reaction score
It's an Intel Mac. Maybe I was mistaken that mine was the first that came out - perhaps I meant the first Intel Macbook that came out. I thought all Macbooks were Intel, but I guess not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iphone 3gs 16 gb, power book g4 12(soon to be mbp 13) 2009 mac mini 2.26
all macbooks are Intel, prior to mid 2006 there was the ibooks which all ran ppc...

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks - that's what I thought.

So I guess my question remains - will a 2GB Macbook run Snow Leopard faster than Tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
I have exactly the same MacBook running Snow Leopard.
You would notice a slight slowing down if you went to Leopard, however Snow Leopard is a slight speed bump on Leopard on the machine. You are using the same programs I do and the MacBook will perform them all fine with 10.6, and you may get some HDD space!

I can't tell you whether Tiger is quicker with 2GB than Snow Leopard as I installed Leopard with only 1gb then upgraded the RAM.

I think the upgrade from 10.4 to 10.6 requires the more expensive upgrade package, unless you have the Leopard install disk to go from one to the other.

Hope that helps!

OP
M
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the help!

And my internet research tells me that I should be okay with going straight from Tiger to Snow Leopard with the $29 disc and skipping the Leopard box set - correct?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
all macbooks are Intel, prior to mid 2006 there was the ibooks which all ran ppc...

Oops my bad you are of course correct. 1 too many beers with dinner.

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook core 2 duo, 2 GHz, 2GB, 320GB HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.