Macbook Pro with External Monitor Resolution Problem

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just bought a 23" DGM Monitor to use with my Macbook Pro. It supports up to 1920x1080 which is what I bought it for, as I use CS3.

I've set it up but I can't seem to display anything more than what appears to be the 1400 x 900 default MBP resolution. I've set the resolution higher, and the screen flickers but doesn't change, even though all the settings on my Mac say it is 1920x1080 and the OSD on the monitor says it too. It does seem to go up to that resolution when I change the screen mode to span to extend the desktop, but when I switch back to mirror mode, it's back to the horrible low res :(

Any help would be appreciated, it shouldn't be this hard should it?

OP
W
Reaction score
Interestingly, I've just closed the lid of my Macbook Pro while in mirror mode, and then woken it up with a USB mouse and the external monitor resolution is fine! Full 1920x1080. When I go back to mirror mode with the MBP running it's screen too, the external monitor reverts back to the horrible resolution. Strange.

Firstly, does anyone know why this is? and Is it safe to run the MBP with the lid closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm not 100% sure, but I think the reason it looks better when you take it off mirror mode is because it is allowing the monitor to use a better resolution than your Mac can provide. - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :Smirk:

Yes, it is safe to run it with lid closed. It's actually preferred from what I understand due to heat behind the screen. I just dim my screen completely when hooked up to my TV, but that is because I haven't bought a usb mouse yet to wake it up with once I close the lid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.